Sunday, October 25, 2009

Win for the generations


Until yesterday, the Iowa State Cyclones had not beaten the Nebraska Cornhuskers since 1977 when I was a sophomore at ISU. I remember it like it was yesterday (that's cuz I don't remember yesterday too well anymore).

We had beaten the Huskers in Ames my freshman year. Back then, students had general seating and some camped out in order to get the good seats. We would line up early, clutching fifths of vodka and pints of Jack Daniels. They actually let us in with that stuff! We'd dump booze into our cups of Seven Up and Coke, sipping (or gulping) during warm ups while the big speakers on the field played songs like Rubberband Man and other disco hits. Dexter Green was the running back and there were stars on defense too.

My sophomore year we didn't go to the game, and of course it wasn't on TV. But I do remember people running around in the halls of the dorms yelling "we won!" And after a while the goal post were marched ceremoniously down Lincoln Way and tossed into Lake LuVerne. After years of Husker domination we had beaten them on their turf. I grew up in a town where there were many Nebraska diehards and it was especially satisfying!

So fast forward 32 years. My kid is a junior at ISU and we win in a crazy game where our starting quarterback and running back are sidelined by injury. Nebraska is coming off a surprise victory at Missouri followed by a humiliating loss at home to Texas Tech. They're pissed, but fans on their message board sound similar to Hawkeye fans - gee what a lose-lose situation it is for us to have to stoop to playing lowly ISU.

Their team resembled Iowa's fumblin' Ronnie Harmon back in the Rosebowl many years ago. They lost the ball every way they could, and the less talented Clones took care of business. As time ticked away I envisioned all the heartbreaking ways our team could lose. A last second 55 yard field goal came to mind - driving a stake in our hearts thanks to a missed extra point.

For once this season, the football gods shined down on the clones and despite the odds the team came through. I love our coach, and this team. They don't give up. And after all the cold rain this fall...there is joy in mudville!

2 comments:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Wasn't it great?! Did'ja cry? I know we don't cry much, but I almost did while watching the coach. What a great game.
I attended an ISU/NE game in Ames in the mid 70's. The Nebraska fans were SO smug and rude. Nice to be on the winning side.

Thea said...

Gotta love it!! Especially as you say, growing up in the Big Red section of Iowa. My mom in heaven is really happy. She was a huge Cyclone fan! Wonder how nephew Greg who is now a Husker is taking it? I'd better rub it in on FB, doncha think? haha