Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It's been a while since I've cried


A book I read recently had a great quote describing a situation the female lead character was going through - "Just the normal stupidity of life in which sometimes it is necessary to cry." I like books that let us inside the character's inner thoughts like that.

That quote nails my usual reason to cry - just the little stupid stuff that sometimes adds up, building up a sort of pressure. Then, when the scale of life finally tips, I cry. Mostly it's at home, often when I'm in bed in the dark. I usually try to muffle it so I don't awaken any of the others. I mean Paul, Odie and Kitty. Though Odie and Paul can be good at consoling me.

Moki the wonder dog (1990-2004) was a great consoler. He mopped up a lot of tears during the my time of intense grief after Patrick's brief life. And when Mom died. Odie got mop up duty after Dad died. Hugs from my family always help too.

I do get teary eyed fairly frequently any more. Heck before I know it, I'll be like my dad, or worse yet, Diana McKim - crying over Hallmark commercials. Sometimes I think it's therapeutic to watch sad movies and cry. Movies can help those sad stupid little things adding up to bubble over, and you can those tears off your chest.

One time in college (according to Wiki it was 1975) my roomies (Sal, Jane, Vic) and I must have been feeling blue. We went to the movie theater at North Grand Mall to watch "Other Side of the Mountain - the Jill Kinmont Story." Jill was a potential Olympic skier in the 50's who suffered a ski accident in Utah. She was paralyzed from the neck down - at age 18. We went to this movie during a time that must have been quite stressful for each of us. All those tests, boy issues, which beer to drink. Anyway we all blubbered and came out puffy and red. Quite attractive! Then we went to a party and drank heavily.

One can't predict when the tears will come - just hope to God it's not at work. When I was younger, it seemed tears were much closer to the surface when it came to talking to my boss about emotional type things. God I hated that! It seems like such a sign of weakness, but I felt helpless to stop them.

I haven't cried at work in years (guess I'm a crusty old lady now), but when I worked at Gits (1995-1997), tears were necessary! Now that was a very stressful job. Good thing I had a nice quiet place in a corner of the parts room to head to when tears threatened.

At the landfill, I cried after my shouting match with the 240 pound 6'5" scary equipment operator. He got in my face and I got right back in his face, not crying until he left and I came to my senses. What was I thinking? That guy could have hurt me. I didn't cry after the little old lady scale operator kinda threatened me with her gun after we argued. "I have a gun in my purse and I know how to use it," she said. But I did kinda hyperventilate when I got back to my office.

No predictions on when tears will come again. Just that they will.

4 comments:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Yikes! I hate confrontations, especially at work. Did she have a permit for that gun?
I agree tears can be cleansing, but I stay do not like to cry.

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Still...still do not like to cry.

lgold said...

I didn't ask about the permit, but I did tell her boss, a contractor our agency had hired, about the incident and left on vacation. When I came back, she was no longer employed there...
I don't like to cry either - makes me feel crappy. But sometimes it can't be avoided, or controlled dammit.

Thea said...

oh, this is timely. i cried TWICE today at work! Not about work, tho. I was feeling the pain of something a friend had misguidedly said -- away from work. And when I shared that with two work friends, one of them told an even more emotional story. i cried and hugged her. Then facebooked about it. haha i think crying feels good after, so it must be a good thing.