Monday, October 12, 2009

Great (and I mean really) great white hunter


Pablo the Poolboy shot a deer today with his bow. Not only a deer, but the biggest bestest deer he's ever shot. He called me right when I got to my cubicle this a.m. I was running late after having breakfast with my homies at S&K Cafe in Creston.



So I got a late start, and while driving had another headache (#3 of the weekend) so I took my meds on the way. Then I heard about an accident on the freeway, so I got off at 8th St. to avoid it. The good news is I wasn't IN the accident. And my wonderful meds get rid of my headaches.



So Pablo calls me all breathless and jubilant. "I shot a huge buck", he says. I can tell he's shot full of adrenaline. Last year he told me he shot a big buck, but it seemed to shrink (men do tend to exaggerate size - have you ever noticed that?) when he got out of his tree stand.



Not this year, though I must admit, the phone pic he sent me didn't do it justice. When he sent me the real pic from a camera I realized he was right. It's friggen huge! I printed out the pic at work to show other hunters. My boss Al expressed extreme jealousy - he's not even been out yet. Sue plans to hunt with her muzzle loader soon and she was quite impressed with said deer.

In order to avoid hernia and heart attack, Paul called upon Jeff to help drag the deer out of the woods to where the Jeep awaited. Odie had scads of fun sniffing the scents of death in our garage after Paul caped the deer there. Our neighbor Jean (pronounced Jhawn) all 100 lob of him helped Paul get the carcass back into the Jeep to go to Corning to be processed.

I'm so happy for Pablo - he's so pleased. And exhausted.

I'm sad for the deer though. He was alive this a.m. and now he's dead. There are way too many deer in Iowa. They're dangerous around roads and damage crops. They need to be weeded out, and Pablo is doing his part. Hmm I didn't really convince myself that killing animals was okay but I tried...

Paul is a good hunter - who spends a great deal of time and effort (and $$) on his sport. It gives him immense enjoyment, and stress relief. Nothing like killing things to release a bit o stress!

3 comments:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Good pic. How many points? At a family reunion a few weeks ago, they told of a 10 yr old girl who had gotten her first deer (12 pt) the day before with muzzle loader.
I'm with you when it comes to killing anything. (Even when a deer ran into and damaged our brand new car, I hoped to deer was ok.) Just one of the things you have to compromise on.

lgold said...

Yes, we don't want them overpopulating (even more than now) and not having enough to eat.
It was a big 8 pointer. He's gotten deer with more points, but never one that scored as high in the measuring system.

Thea said...

I wish I could remember that old Roseanne Barr joke about men and mileage tables. It sort of had to do with wishful thinking, but I started to type it in and can't remember it!! duh