Monday, May 19, 2014

Atlantic Wayback Machine - fast food

I'm still listening to "Q is for Quarry", the Sue Grafton book set in the 80's. It's been kind of fun going down memory lane as the book progresses. One of the characters in the book is recovering from cancer and has a hankering for fast food. He' an old guy who hasn't experienced it before - oh, you know what I'm talking about. Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Yeah, the golden arches had made it to Atlantic, Iowa by the 80's - but I was no longer living in town by then. In my golden era, the 70's we had Lally's! It was down by Sunnyside Pool, right on Highway 6 by Pizza Hut. The restaurant was owned by a family named Mullally - Mike and Judy, originally from LeMars. The restaurants were burger joints - the food, was good in my recollection.

I know a little bit about Lally's because my high school boyfriend Mike McCauley worked there...so I hung out there a bit...flirting, ya know. He looked so cute in his little white cook's hat. He had to wash his hands with salt and lemon to get rid of the onion smell. I gave him my beloved class ring to wear on his pinky...he lost it. No...it didn't end up in someone's burger Phew! It was found in the parking lot. Needless to say I got that sucker back. (Meanwhile I still wore his all wrapped in yarn - so romantic!)

In the book I'm listening to, Kinsey orders a pizza. I couldn't help but wonder if it wasn't a Pizza Hut pepperoni. Or thin Supreme? Oh Pizza Hut, why won't you just go retro and return to your original menu. (keep the wings though). Pizza, Hoagies, Salads. Damn good. #whymesswithsuccess
They had updated this logo by the time a store opened in Atown

I remember when I was a lifeguard - I'd buzz over for lunch and purchase a nice sandwich -  creamy Italian salad dressing, lettuce, several type of meat on an Italian hoagie bun toasted nicely. Delish and all for like $2.75. Plus a Dr. Pepper - my drink of choice back then....when I could slurp down 300 calories of sugar and not consider the consequences...another boyfriend (ah but it was very brief) Rick Ortiz, worked there along with the rest of his fam - dad and sister Renee.

Check out this Pizza Hut commercial from 1975.

The next place east was a fave - but not normally for real food. Dairy Queen was for creamy delicious softserve ice cream with a curly cue on top. I remember when the prices started at $.10 or for a vanilla cup for our doggie Jud. When I went to DQ with other families I always suffered the dilemma - should I go big and expensive or just get a slush, which is pretty much sugar, color and ice. What was the name of the family who ran that place? Their daughter is a couple year older than I am. Gail? Later they gave up the expensive franchise.

Crossing Olive Street on Highway 6, briefly Quick's had a place along Highway 6. My sister Cindy says they had the most delish Maidrites with frigid cold milk. I myself loved their donuts. They had a place downtown for a time too - I don't know which was first.

Next came the A&W - which later became Town and Country. Damn you franchises and all your fees! I missed the Mama Burger, Papa Burger, Teen Burger and even the Baby Burger. Those little tiny root beer mugs were so cute! That restaurant had window ordering and carhops. My friend (no not boyfriend this time) Mona worked there. She would make me extra special Pepsi Floats. The food was pretty good too. The poor owners - a young couple with children -  lived right by the restaurant and had no life...except for the restaurant.

That was pretty much it for what I consider "fast" food. There were other places one could carry out from. The "Bowlocks" would order carryout from the Pines (we call it The Pin due to an unfortunate burn out of the neon during a period of time), across Highway 6 and a bit east from the A&W - best broasted chicken in SW Iowa. I'd sometimes ride along with Dad to pick up the food. we'd sit at the bar - he'd order me up a Shirley Temple while our food was finished up. I think Dad drank something else. My drink came with fruit and one of those animal shaped swizzle sticks. Yay - a new toy.
I love the word swizzle

Each order came in its own little box and we'd get a special order of their signature relish tray item - cheese, corn relish, pickled herring. I would get legs and wings with a baked potato. Plus a salad with their special salad dressing - they bottle it today. I need to stop and get some. Yumm. My Aunt Jeanie love their Oinker' Sauce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Dairy Queen was owned by the Witmers. Janie W was the girl you are thinking of. I remember when Mr. Witmer added a sit-down area to the DQ, he lost his franchise, I guess because the headquarters didn't approve it. But the place was packed with teenagers and families ordering hot dogs, burgers and such, and I know it paid off for him. (Cindy Dean Baldwin)

Anonymous said...

I loved the Lallyburger. Supposedly no one knew the recipe for the sauce save for the owner. Mom used to get these for us occasionally. Much tastier than The Spot? Huh? Remember that?

Anonymous said...

I was taking a trip down memory lane and came across this. I used to live across the street from the Whitmers and we played with their kids. Their mother and my mother both had cancer approximately the same time and passed away. So we bonded a lot as children. The Whitmers were super generous people when my mom was sick they were always bringing us food from the dairy Queen. Does anybody know of an old grocery store that was kind of close in the

JadeeKelgor said...

Super Valu was across highway 6 next to the Roller Rink. I'm sure Whitmers got a lot of business from the rink too.