Thursday, May 1, 2014

Old worker, new tool, television

I've been working in offices since 1974 when Harry Hjortshoj put me to work at his big desk at the Fina gas station in Atlantic, Iowa adding up gas tickets for monthly statements for his customers. (Just one of my many important jobs - donut acquisition, parts pickup, That was back before many people had credit cards and we could trot around visiting stores - simply telling them to "charge it to Dave Bullock". When I worked for Harry I used the one finger style of adding up the statements on the adding machine.

Since then I've learned to use many tools of the trade - adding machines (with all my fingers), using rubber fingers to flip through papers (I won't tell you what my dear daughter thought one of those things was the first time she saw one - inadvertently left in a motel restroom), and use of electric staplers and pencil sharpeners.

So when I found an unusual tool in the desk drawer in my cubicle at DNR when I started working there in 2008, I racked my brain. What did that thing do? Letter opener? Nope...I had one of those too. Still, I left it in the drawer - using it to open my cell phone when it needed to be rebooted. But the mystery remained. Until last week when I needed a file from DNR's records department. The staffer there used a tool just like mine to remove staples! Aha!
I didn't know the Henry Wiltschck tool was a staple puller....like the one above, but different! 

My big sis Cindo got me hooked on The Voice...damn her and her reality shows. I'd seen the show a few times in the past, but hadn't "followed" a season. Now, thanks to being with Cindy and two show cycles in Florida - I'm hooked! Even Paul watched. The judges are good - not obnoxious like some of the talent shows I've dabbled in watching. Some of the singers are really great.
Cindy and Colby pose with the menu at our fave place to eat near Marco - the Little Bar

Cindy's other addiction - HGTV. She doesn't get it at her home in Vail, CO so she watches it non-stop in Florida. There are some good shows on that channel. Property Brothers - loves watching those cuties work with people. Addicted to Rehab - that's a fun show to watch as a cute gal goes all Al Higgins (a friend from Creston who is an excellent craftsman) on places she buys in the Twin Cities area - fixing up homes she buys to resell.

No comments: