Friday, May 30, 2014

Summa time

Memorial Day kicks off summer. Finally! It's been a long time coming in Iowa. If you read this blog or are my "friend" on Facebook then you've seen a litany of complaints by me. Someone who of her own free will lives in Iowa - land of four seasons.

Winter was quite brutal this year. I've grown soft. And old. Why...back in the day, winters didn't bother me as much as this one. As a kid I enjoyed torturing my mother by going outside to play in the snow and coming in all snowy and wet. Several times a day. How fun for her - dealing with the soggy woolen gear. No dri-Fit back then!

I learned this year (weather people are such Encyclopedias) that my time at college in Ames, Iowa were terrible weather years. But..to quote one of my least fave sayings, to us, "it was what it was." We didn't let Mother Nature stop us. (except from going to class a couple times). We stood outside That Place in sub-zero temps to get into the popular bar featuring free peanuts in the shell and warmish beer. My roomies and I carried a grocery cart through the HyVee lot when the snow was too deep. We'd gathered the makings for Vic's Pasta in Pot recipe. And beer. We then hunkered down at 230 Campus Avenue for a Royal Rummy card game festival.

This year winter wore me out. There was no sledding, nor Rummy. There might have been some rum. Pablo and I have been eagerly awaiting summer. It's been staggering towards us like it's been drinking rum. Now it's hot! I love it - except for the overly air-conditioned establishments.  Deck time. Farmer's Market - for real with tomatoes, corn - all the good stuff!

There are the outdoor activities - walking, biking and my favorite - reading on the deck. Paul manages to find yard work to do - even in our town home situation. Potted plants and some landscaping he received permission from the yard gods to do. Our neighbor Vicki (not my former college roommate) planted coneflowers of all colors in the newly landscaped area. Oops - Paul forgot to get the god's approval. Mea Culpa.
no mowing..kinda nice

I can't wait for my sisters to visit DSM and to go to Oregon for the fam reunion. I just signed up to work at the State Fair - corndog anyone? Is the Lake in our future? Lazy summer weekends? Goldsmith Golf. A trip to Tahoe? A visit from Aunt Jean and Uncle Bruce will finish up our summer. It will be perfect.

I decided to get my summer do. Hair, that is. This time of year the humidity takes its toll on my person - in some good ways and bad. Plus it was time for a full color. Sarah wanted to go all Miley Cyrus on me - shaving the sides. I don't think it would look quite as nice on a 56-year old...I went a little darker, but still have the blond highlights. What can I say? We all need a little spice in our lives.
teeth - check
skin - check
hair - check
hmmm my toenails are looking a bit ragged again.
It's hell being a girl!

2 comments:

Zach said...

We just got back from Tahoe-it's beautiful up there. Let us know if you head out this way!

Andra said...

I guess I was signed into Zach's account. It was me! - Andra