Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tell it like it is

Words to Inspire the Soul is a Facebook site where people post sayings. This one describes me to a T.

Regarding asking for my opinion (or even when I give my unsolicited opinion...)

I won't say this is always what I do...but much of the time...

This is not a bakery.
I don't sugar coat anything.
If you ask for my opinion, then that's what you'll get.
Don't be mad when it's not what you want to hear.

I've always been like this. It's how I was fortunate enough to be born (is it in my genes?) and raised - my sisters are much like me. I'm not sure if it's due to nature or nurture.

I don't tell people that things are great when they aren't. I don't act like the sun shines out of someone's rectal opening when it's really radiating the same gas the rest of ours are. Eww. When I compliment someone - I mean it! I should do it more often, I know - I notice things about those around me often and I should tell them about it.

I can also be a harsh judge - another thing I learned growing up (my grandpa..."how much you weigh now, honey?). Or my dad..."her butt was as wide as 2 ax handles". Those voices in one's head never really quite go away. I finding myself making judgmental comments about people just to get a laugh...it's how I've always gotten attention. The curse of a #3 daughter - starving for attention.
Creston pals at Susan's wedding. What is going on with my hair?

Back to the the topic of friends. I blog often about how blessed I am to have many great friends! Today Bobbie McFee texted that she was coming to the Big City from Creston for a bit of shopping. Paul and I met her for lunch at South of the Border. She looks great! Several Crestonian pals are meeting for an independent weight loss group headed up by my bud nurse Nancy Anthony. They're all thriving under Nan's tutelage. Great job ladies! My Creston friends are true blue. (But I don't get to see them as much as I would like since I moved away from them).

Back when I was young - living places like Sioux Falls and Omaha  I was on the lookout for new friends. When friend shopping it's easy to be fooled by really good fakes. My natural tenancy is to be wary of people until they prove themselves over time. Flakes beware. I'm not talking about those people who are just unorganized and so therefore are kinda flaky about dates/trips/and other stuff - they just can't help themselves.

I mean the kind of somewhat conniving people who are flaky because they're angling for "better" options. They'd like to do something with you until someone cooler asks them out for the same night. Flake - screw you and your better option. (Let me be clear - I'm not talking about anything happening recently to me. Old wounds).

It takes self esteem to break up with "friends". I'm lucky that I'd rather sit at home with a good book than go out with people who just aren't that into me and my "tell it like it is" ways. Still, now that it's year 2 of living in the Big City, Paul and I do need to work harder at developing a local friend group. #I'manintrovert



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,
My name is Paula Randall and I have been doing some research looking on the internet for a childhood friend. My friends name is Marcy Rodgers from Atlantic , Iowa . This search has taken me to your blogg . It appears you knew her father Wayne Rodgers. I was wondering if you have anyway for me to get in touch with her or her sisters ? I can be reached at paulark1952@gmail.com