Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My son


I received a Mother's Day card from my son yesterday. I get tears in my eyes when I think of it. What a cool guy he's turned out to be! I've bragged about him before - but he just keeps getting better. Some of the credit goes to his girlfriend Kara. Hanging out with a woman has helped put him in touch with those thoughtful things that many guys don't think of on their own - like flowers that arrive right on Mother's Day.

Jud actually wrote in the card he sent - he didn't just sign it. He's learned that about me - I like to read stuff! What he wrote was really sweet. Gulp. Cue the tears. Diana McKim would have been blubbering...

Jud called last night. He seems to like St. Louis so far. A Creston High classmate, Scott Vicker, has introduced him to some of his St. Louis University friends. Scott attended the school on a track scholarship and several buddies still live in the city. Jud is playing softball with one pal. Scott now works in Creston but he traveled to St. L last weekend. Jud got together with him and his friends for a meal and drinks - it sounded like he really enjoyed it. 

He said he wished he would have hung out with Scotty during high school. That's not how it works though, is it? In HS we're pulled so many ways - afraid of not being "cool". Many times the people you hang out with as an adult aren't the ones you would have as a kid. Or if you're me...you are still pals with your friend you met when you were 3! Right Robbie Dob?

Jud's working at Boeing - that Company seems to have an interest group for about everything, since they employ so many people in St. Louis. He's looking forward to playing soccer this summer and even football (I'm assuming it's flag - I don't think he's suiting up for the Rams) in the fall. Along with the softball league he's in - he's bound to have a passel of buddies in no time. Maybe he'll join a book club. haha.

Pardon my motherly gushing. Those of you who have known me (and Jud) for a long time know it wasn't always a smooth road. He was no hoodlum, but I had my share of sleepless nights. Worried he might always have tantrums, or wouldn't pass Spanish. Stuff like that. Looking back...it was all worth it. And for all you young (and not so) moms out there, I hope you are blessed with a child (or children, because Amy too has sent letters and cards like this one) who write to you and express what you mean to them. Even if they can't find the words to express it on paper or verbally...you'll know.

Our niece's daughter filled out this for Mom's day. Naomi is 2. I got a kick out of it.
Jud and Amy did a lot of publications like these through the years - though I don't think I was ever described as looking like a pea...

No comments: