Monday, May 5, 2014

We're in the army now

As I drove around Amy's neighborhood in Denver last weekend, we went by a Salvation Army home. I thought - "hey, that looks familiar." Yep, Amy said, my sis Susi had told her she used to work there. The Booth Home - Salvation Army.

My sister Susi went off to college when I was only 11 or 12. She headed west to Colorado to attend Temple Buell College in Denver, later called Colorado Women's College. (Ironically, now the campus is Johnson and Wales - where my nephew Colby earned his bachelor's degree in culinary science). Susi majored in sociology - transferring to Denver University later where she earned her 4 year degree.

One high school summer I went to visit her she was working at the Booth Salvation Army Home (I think that was the name) in Denver - working with young women. I was around 17 and was so in awe of these young women/girls really, who were placed at this home. Why were they there? What circumstances would make girls my age not be able to live with their parents? I was so naïve...

I went there with Susi to help the staff plan a camping trip in the mountains with these girls. We packed sleeping backs and slept in cabins with the girls. I helped with them in the swimming pool - teaching them swimming skills. The trip was very eye-opening, that's for sure!

Some of the girls were kind of intimidating and scary. I guess they had to be to survive in their world. Or maybe they were just mean. I think being around these girls is part of the reason I have the progressive attitudes that I do about programs to help those who are born with less to get ahead.

Tonight was Diamond Brooke Ladies night out. I went to Champps to eat with women from our condo association. There were 10 of us. The California ladies are back - after 6 months away from the brutal Iowa weather. We had out own party room. The waiter didn't know Pino Grigio from Pinot Noir. I tried to convince Jan, the Cali snow bird, that in Iowa....wines are different than in Cali...but she didn't believe me. Nice time.

A few sights from my walk yesterday around the Diamond Brooke block. #sogladitsSPRING
redbuds!

running water in the wetland after recent rain
Across Cody Drive - always love the flowers at this house
If you have to throw a plastic bag away, tie it in a knot first...prevent this from happening

No comments: