Friday, June 29, 2012

Debbie Does Des Moines

And it wasn't nearly as excting as when Debbie did Dallas...
But we did have fun! My best bud Deb was in town for some work training early this week. By Tuesday night she'd had enough time bonding with her Planned Parenthood workmates and she texted me. I was on my way home from my exciting trip to Kellerton and Coin...and my phone starting twitching in that very special way...

Yes. It was a text from Deb. She asked if I wanted to get together and we quickly arranged a meeting at Paul and my fave spot - The Standard, a martini bar just off Court Avenue on 3rd Street. Then, since my roomie Joan doesn't have texting on her phone, I switched into email mode and sent her a message (all from the back seat of a state van - isn't technology amazing folks?). Joan agreed to join us downtown too!

Later, when I parked on Court and rounded the corner, Deb was sitting on a bench waiting for me. She had walked down from her hotel. It was a lovely late afternoon - about 5:30 p.m. one day before this dreadful heat took ahold. We sat and talked, waiting for Joan to arrive from her job as dispatcher at FedEx on SW 9th. When she trotted around the corner, we headed into the cool coolness of The Standard and each selected a lovely $5 martini. My fave bartender Jeff was not on duty, but a young women did a nice job standing in for him.
My lemondrop surveys my friends and likes what it sees!
Joan and Deb know each other, but not all that well. I was so happy to get two of my fave peeps together in my fave bar! We sipped and chatted. It made me miss my time living there with Pablo when we did this every night!

Deb with my in my DNR shirt
Then we ordered sannies - Joan got fish tacos. We were having such fun, we decided to have a beer at Court Avenue Brewing (CAB) on their sidewalk cafe. Joan had some type of bubbly raspberry beer. Deb and I had blue moon type pale ales.


Then Deb and I walked up the east side of the river to the ped bridge and back down to Court before I took off for parts west and she to her hotel. I love those girls!
Look at the pretty flowers Norman Borlaug presides over at the World Food Prize building - as seen on our walk

I love evenings out like that - and love having a chance to hang with my friends!


The next day the heat hit - here is what my car looked like at nearly 7 p.m.

No comments: