Friday, June 1, 2012

I shopped at WalMart (politics alert)

I know - that's nothing new. But it is! Pablo and I have boycotted WalMart for the past few weeks. And then we broke 'em down.

You see I have had my ups and downs with the giant corporation. They're a company you love to hate. They took over small towns and ran out other stores. But when you think about it, some of the small stores weren't changing with the times - so was that their own fault? And WalMart has done some good things for the environment - forcing suppliers to "green up" when others couldn't get it done.

Why the boycott this time? ALEC - the acronym for American Legislative Council, the conservative advocacy group that has been a lightning rod over voting and gun laws. Until yesterday, the behemoth had been a prime member of ALEC. When I heard that, I decided to take action. In Creston, there aren't all that many alternatives for some products. So it was a bit of a hardship to give them up. And our local Walmart does good things for this town - they were there for people after the tornado. But what about how they treat their employees? Oh they mix me up so...

On the good side of the boycott, it was a chance to recall how nice it is to shop at other local stores. No matter what, I'll keep spreading my business around. I had gotten lazy and I won't do that again.

Evidently the loss of Goldsmith $$ took its toll, because WalMart caved and quit ALEC. wink wink.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/walmart-alec-membership_n_1558833.html

Several corporations felt the heat after the tragic death of Trayvon Martin in Florida - seemingly the result of over-the-top right to defend laws pushed by ALEC. Coca Cola, Kraft, Bill & Melinda Gates, and Proctor and Gamble are other companies ditching the group. They all say the original purpose of the group has "morphed" beyond what they had intended.

Would I feel the same way if some libbie leftie group came together to "suggest" legislation to lawmakers at the state level around the country? I believe so. I think each state has enough intelligent people to come up with their own laws. We don't need encouragement from these types of outside groups - be they left or right. They seem to be driven by extremists, who may have ulterior motives (to sell more guns perhaps?).

Anyway - WalMart is out - boycott over!

Shopping around Creston is fun.
First I had a pedicure. In Waukee, when I get one I usually read a magazine the whole time. The manicurist doesn't speak English well, and frankly we don't have all that much in common. At Hair House - my manicurist turned out to be one of Jud's classmate's mom. So we chatted the whole time. She gets migraines and has a shoulder problem too. So we had a lot in common, besides Curtiss and Jud. She even asked about Amy. Her youngest will be a senior in HS next year - and I remember him in diapers. sigh.

Next I stopped at the library. Sue the librarian called me by name when I entered the building.

At WalMart, Assistant Manager Will and Amy's classmate Dusty who works there each said "hello". I knew the woman in line ahead of me at in the speedy lane. She said "hi" and asked me how I was. She was talking to the kid checking us about plays. I jumped in to comment about how much I love "Lion King". I can spend a whole week in DM without hardly talking to people waiting on me. I realize it's mostly because I don't come across as wanting to talk. But in Creston - I let my guard down. There's something about small town life.

No comments: