Monday, June 11, 2012

Mr. Roger's Kitchen

kitchen through the years - circa 2004 - the light blue era with oak

When I sprang the news on Paul that it was time to paint the kitchen he said, "Paint the kitchen? We just did that!" Yeah, like five years ago. My how time flies. I did love the brick red color - but I picked it out and we painted it before the new cabinets were installed. After they went in I realized it was a little overkill on the red, but didn't have the heart to make Paul repaint right away.

So I waited. And enjoyed the red for what it was. Vivid! Pictures on the wall really "popped". That's an HGTV term. As a matter of fact it was an episode of HGTV that convinced me that it was time - time to paint. It was that show where the people want to sell their house, and the Realtors critique it. This couple had - gasp - a red kitchen! The decorators said they should tone it down. It was time.

The nice thing about living in a small town with a good decorating store is they keep records. American Homes has my chips! Paint chips that is. I selected the green that went with my other colors, but went one shade light - a little number called "woolen vest". Bringing to mind Fred Rogers.

On Friday I picked up a quart of woolen vest just to see if we liked it. Paul was in charge of painting due to my bum shoulder. (I'm schedule to see a surgeon on the 21st) He painted a few areas that night and the next morning it got my seal of approval. We got a whole gallon to finish up. The great thing about the new paint you can buy today is that is has no VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and therfore no smell. It's better for the environment and our health.

 Now if I could only talk Pablo into stainless steel appliances! It's amazing what you can do with a little paint.

No comments: