Saturday, June 16, 2012

Music hugs and walk thoughts


Through the years, Amy and I somehow got into the habit of making CDs for each other. She actually started this practice - making gift music CDs years ago - probably as a cheap way to give us something for Mother's and Father's Days - stuff like that. I specifically remember a CD of deer-hunting tunes she prepared for her father. Awww. But I've surprised her with a couple too - especially since I found out about the cache of CDs the Urbandale Public Library has. She scored some Rihanna tunes from me baby! Her cousin Jordan was surprised that her Auntie like the raunchy stuff...

Since our girl lives some 600 miles away, she often prepares a set of tunes for us for our trip when we drive back from the Mile High City. This past Memorial Day, Paul and I were listening to a CJ Box book (combines a game warden and murder - something for each of us!) on the way back from Denver, so we didn't have time to break out the music. In fact we had to listen to the last couple chapters of the book on the Bose in our very own living room!

So the first time I remembered to have a listen to the tunes she prepared was last weekend! It's always like a lil hug from her to hear what she selected. Here are a few tunes she's helped me enjoy lately:
Railroad Earth Long Way to Go
Steve Martin was right when he said nothing can sound sad when you put a banjo in there. Death, destruction...
I like string bands. I hadn't heard of Railroad Earth before.

This song is a sad one, originally done and loved by me - by Bonnie Raitt. The one Amy recorded is a sung by Bruce Hornsby an octave highter than he does in this Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSEjDoE-QEI



For some reason this song always reminds of my besties. All the beautiful women in my life. Not because I wanna be their baby fathers..but because they're so beautiful to me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOzN0eihsE
It makes me smile!

Amy's latest CD compilation: ( I had to google for titles and artists so I may have whiffed on a few...)
Best of My Love - Emotions
Blood Lyrics - Middle East
In Your Eyes - Rogue Wave
The Girl - City and Colour
Head Full of Doubt - Avett Brothers
I Can't Make You Love Me, Prairiedog Town, Sticks and Stones - Bruce Hornsby
It Girl, Ridin' Solo - Jason Derulo
I saw You First - Mellencamp
Sweet Disposition - Temper Trap
Lighting Candles - the Weepies
Long Way to Go - Railroad Earth
I Don't Want To Wait in Vain - Annie Lennox
I also bought Dixie Chicks - The Long Way Around after she linked it on her blog.

Beautiful was on her last compilation. Some of my other all time faves she's shared are Michael Franti and Mumford and Sons.
Think about sharing music with your friends and fam. All it takes is a little time, and you can share those hugs over and over.
__________________________________________________________________

During my walk yesterday, I thought about how much history Creston holds for me. Just glancing around on that walk tells a great deal. First, this stone in Calvary - the Catholic cemetery that is such a special place to me. I didn't know this man, obviously - though we did know another Tom Walsh who passed away recently. But the message on the stone has always resonated with me. "Be quiet, let us reason"
After trotting through the final resting place of many, I headed west on Adams - quite hilly. Once I got past the first couple houses, the Summit Lake Dam project made its appearance along with some horses. I can't wait until the dam is done and we can get the kayaks back out there again.
I love the gazebo at the White home. This home used to be owned by Landon "Bud" Brooks - who was the CEO at Gits Manufacturing when I worked there. He got cancer, and passed away in the mid 1990s. Jeanne Piel and Cynthia Wolf were two of my friends who knew him well and his death was hard on them and the many other friends and loved ones.

The home was purchased by Steve and Suzie White, sister to Barb Crittenden. I worked with Barb's husband Steve at First National Bank. Paul and Steve are good friends. I don't know the Whites well, but I remember that when I worked at the bank, they tragically lost a child when she was with her grandpa and knocked the truck into gear and it rolled into a pond and she drowned. I think she was two years old at the time. That was before we lost baby Patrick, but I thought of them after we too lost a child. The Crittendens and Whites are aunts and uncles of Jim Ide whose wedding I blogged about a couple weeks ago. (Suzie and Barb are sisters of Jim's dad Dan Ide).
When I see the gazebo, I think of Bud Brooks, buried at Calgary and the White fam who now lives in this beautiful home
On up the road there is the "Dieter Addition" , a small housing development that was the dream of a guy that worked with Bobbie at Mederer - the original Creston Gummi-bear plant now owned by Wrigley. We've know various people who have lived in this are through the years - including blond twins Darrah and Sheena Dawson who played volleyball with Amy. Their parents were nice. They moved away around the time the girls graduated from HS. /the cornerstone home in that area, called Fort Knock - was built by Joe Knock, owner of Iowa State Savings Bank. Jud was friends with Chris Allen, classmate at St. Malachy who lived in that home during his school years.

As I continued west, I spied a mailbox painted with Bailey Farms. Home of the parents of the Bailey boys and Carol Sharp - neighbor across the street from our first home in Creston on Prairie. The Sharp's daughter Amy was our babysitter when our Amy was a tot. We watched their sons play in their yard. The Sharp fam is the Miller beer distributor in the area - so most of Creston is Miller country. At the top of the hill - my turning around point for my walk, was Stormy Lee's house. Stormy is Amy's bestest Creston friend. I blogged about her wedding last winter. Her parents built this home when she was in HS. I see her mom jog by with the dogs periodically.
The view on the walk home - homes on the road around the corner from ours. Recent rains were welcome for crops!
So you can tell - I have a great deal of history packed into my head about this town. Sad and happy stories. The stories of life. Most of the people around here know my story too. Small towns are like that. Talking to Amy about her life in Denver - it's not so different, just bigger so more spread out. Last weekend she ran into people she knew at a Rockies game and another event.

Isn't life interesting?

3 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

Bon Iver does the "I Can't Make you Love Me" in that super high voice--he won Artist of the Year at the Grammys. He's very hit or miss with people but I LOVE him! Glad you like Railroad Earth, that's a Colby band :)

Unknown said...

So glad that I came across this post, Landon "bud" Brooks was my grandfather and I don't have many pictures of the exterior of the house or the property which we all loved. It made my day and brought back some great memories of times spent with him. Thanks you for the picture.

Jessica Brooks
kdlady52@yahoo.com

lgold said...

I'm glad to hear this post brought you joy. I didn't know Bud well, but my co-workers spoke so highly of him. Gits was a great place to work when Bud was at the helm. He instituted a policy that allowed everyone in the plant to receive a $100 bonus if the monthly sales/shipping quota was surpassed. Everyone loved it! I walked by his resting place with his daughter at the Catholic cemetery often. RIP Bud.