Friday, June 22, 2012

That's Just The Way It Is

Yes my friends - I saw one of my all time fave artists, Bruce Hornsby up close and personal this week. I didn't even know he was going to be in Des Moines until my buddy Deb mentioned last weekend that he was going to be at Nitefall on the River Wednesday. She and Larry were planning to go. I talked to Pablo and we hatched a plan to attend, since I've been a big fan since the 90's.

BB (Before Bruce) at lunchtime Wednesday, DNR had a dunk tank. We were raising money for the Foodbank, something we do all year round. The new director Chuck Gipp went for a dip early - I missed that, but I went out for a hot dog (price - 2 canned goods) when the deputy director took a dive. He's Bruce Trautman, a former USDA NRCS Area Conservationist - a friend of Paul's. For a new guy, he seems to already know quite a few people...at least several employees wanted to put him in the water! He's a jokester, and he heckled people in between throws.
Trautman drops

Rogue's gallery watches
After lunch, I forked over $5 for my pal Scott to toss a few balls at the big red dot to mess up our co-worker Tom's hair. Our supe Jen's sister Cindy works in Admin. Her sons even got in the act - their mom was dressed like a witch! It was a fun time for a good cause.

Jen, at right, coaches her nephew to nail the target, dunking her sis who is dressed like a witch
I'm not quite sure why Mel was decked out in a sailor outfit. Tom looks damp.
 
Scott waits for another shot at dunking Tom
Later that day, Paul rode up to DSM with Larry and Deb, and we met at Culvers on Jordan Creek Parkway. I was sad that out of the whole week, this one day turned out rainy - just our luck! I got an email that the concert venue was switched to the Val Air Ballroom, kind of a dumpy old place. But somehow it's got character - it has seen a lot of shows in its day.
Violinist was good!
And now Bruce was here - his first time in Iowa in 25 years! When we got there, Cornmeal was playing - a string band from Chicago. I know - doesn't seem like it goes together string band - Chicago. A string band should be from Nashville or Montana. But I enjoyed the songs I heard them play. People were sitting all around the sides, but the middle of the floor was open, so that's where we headed after getting a couple beers.
with mondolin


Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers came on about 8 PM. He's such a talented musican! That guy can tickle the ivories. Makes me wish I would have stuck it out with piano lessons. Plus he plays mandolin and the accordian too - a could never dream of doing that. He asked the violinist from Cornmeal to play along with the band. She was great and I loved the interaction between all the musicians.  

see how close we were

I dig live music - so the versions of Mandolin Rain, and Just the Way It Is were great of course. I heard some new songs that were great too. We were so close to him in the Val Air - I got some pics and video. They played for a couple hours. Then Deb and Larry dropped us off back at our car - Pablo stated the night at Joan's. It was a fun night!  


No comments: