Sunday, June 17, 2012

And I didn't even try

I picked a great father for my children...without really even trying!


Sometimes when I talk to my oldest friends, they tell me that I talked long ago about what I was looking for in a mate. I don't recall this at all. Evidently my words had more of an impact on them than they did me! Or I was blowing smoke up their asses...

I wasn't like my roomie Sally - gorgeous blond and 5 foot 11". She always had guys lined up to date her. Othere roomies: Vic and Fred were destined for each other. Jane dated several guys (I'll never forget Stan). I'd had the HS boyfriend - the oh so nice Mike McCauley. Too nice for me. So nice that I broke up with him by our senior year, and dabbled a bit with Craig Both. He was more of a bad boy. But I didn't really have an ISU bf (Mark who broke my heart at the end of freshman year was a fairly brief dalliance). Moose wasn't bf material back then. I remember listening to sad love songs wondering if I'd ever find "the guy". Karla Bonoff - "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me". Oh the angst.

I've seen TV shows where advice is given that women should come up with a list of what they're looking for in a guy. But I don't remember doing that. Blond Catholic farm boy that will someday make a great father would not have been on my list! Somehow, despite myself, I lucked out. And so did our children.

How so? I think the best thing Paul Goldsmith does for Amy and Jud (and don't forget Patrick) is to love their mother well. In my opinion that is one thing many parents today do wrong - they elevate the children above the mate/marriage, putting too much stress on the kids. Sure the little monsters (children) might seem like they enjoy being the center of attention. But really it's stressful for them to feel as if the burden of the family depends on them.

In addition to treating me well, Paul also is a pretty darn good daddy. (Amy still calls him that and I love it, Jud opts for the traditional Dad). I expected it from the start and he came through - changing diapers, feeding the baby, getting up in the night. He was really good at the expected stuff - teaching the kids about sports, outdoors, mowing. He coached them through every sport - remaining fair to all the children, not inflating our kid's playing time. Paul is a wonderful role model, sharing household duties with me, we make a good team. Plus he's a good provider - demonstrating just what a good employee is for USDA all these years.

Now that A&J are mostly growed up, they still call Paul for advice on many things - cars, job stuff, investments, work. They call me too - it just depends on the nature of the question. I am in awe of the reliable, awesome guy he is. Sometimes I get lulled by it..taking him for granted as I'm sure our children do too.

Today, on his 25th Father's Day I am filled with appreciation that 30 years ago I was lucky enough to marry this wonderful father. Thanks to George and Laura Goldsmith for raising such a wonderful man.

Paul on last year's Elk hunting trip in Colorado
I miss my daddy David Judson Bullock. He's been gone 5 years now. I got to know him so much better in his later years than I did when I was young. He was such a friendly guy - could talk to anyone. Happy Dad's Day Dave Bullfrog!
Mom and Dad - Thanksgiving in Grand Junction one year

1 comment:

Jane Buck said...

Thanks Leslie - another beautifully written blog. Although I have only met Paul - don't really know him - he certainly impressed me as a winner from the first time. Your blog is so complete, thanking his parents and at the same time loving yours and the father of your children.

Happy Fathers Day Pablo - as Les calls you - you are quite a guy!!