Monday, May 12, 2014

A face tune up - no botox

A couple weeks ago I had my annual skin checkup. Fair skinned folks like myself are prone to skin cancer. Dad and sisters have a history of precancerous spots that required removal. I have had several zapped with liquid nitrogen, plus one basal cell spot removed. #badskingenes
Hotties cooking

Toss in the fact that I spent a great deal of time in the sun growing up - we were pool rats! Followed by several years simmering in the sun on the Atlantic swim team and then as a lifeguard. Coppertone was applied to encourage the sun to caress one's skin - not to block it. Or we put on baby oil with iodine at times - I'm not sure what that was about. Later we did start adding Zinc Oxide - a sun block on our noses.

I fried pretty much every which way. Not only at the pool - but as an equal opportunity burner - on the mountain. I burned my face so badly in college I developed orange blisters and my lips swelled up so that I...well, had lips! (my nickname has been zipper lips through the years)

After all of these years am I considered well-done now? Do I get the plastic thingy stuck in my head like a steak? Unfortunately - my skin doesn't cook evenly. What I ended up with are well-done spots. Age spots. Oh I pretended they were my long-lost freckles come back for a while, but there's no denying it now. Aging skin - brown and even red little clusters right on my face. How nice for me.

When I had my skin check I asked the nurse practitioner about ways to treat some of the issues I was seeing with my increasing age. I don't think of myself as a vain person - I just want to be happy with who is looking back at me in the mirror. Just like chemical assistance for my hair my skin needed a lil help. For the bestest me!
Ellen

Ellen is a Clinical Aesthetician at Koch Facial Plastic Surgery and Spa. She was just the person to talk me through this thing - very professional in explaining what would happen, how it would work and how it would feel. Ellen asked a great deal about my genetics - how well this machine works depends on the skin type one has. She said I sounded like a perfect candidate. The best thing is that I'm no longer a sun goddess! I ended up having a partial facial treatment - on a machine that's not really a laser.

It's call photorejuvenation or Intense Pulsed Light. It kinda hurts and even with little protective glasses I could see a "lightning bolt" each time she zapped me. Ellen talked me through it. It was $99. Every spot she treated turned darker immediately. Then they'll dry up and go away. She said a few of the lighter ones may need to get hit again. The left side of my face had more spots...why? From driving! Subaru - put a filter on those windows!

Ellen used to be a dental hygienist. She loves her job she told me. I could tell! Ellen says I should put sun block on my skin each day. It should have zinc in it, she said - and not just be sunscreen. Hmmm. I don't think the type I have qualifies - need to find some. If you're tanning - you might consider fake tan - it might save you some treatment on down the line!

I'll let you know if my face dries up and falls off...
Happy Mom on Mother's Day Thanks kids!

 

If you've not tried Trader Joe's chips - they're like $3 - 3 thumbs up according to Pablo

Pablo made seared scallops for my special meal - even though I'm not his mother

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny--I love it---you rock!!