Wednesday, May 21, 2014

If I were Twenty-two

I don't usually read LinkedIn - the website. But I did yesterday and discovered they do articles...who knew? They're running a series where influencers share lessons of their youth. The most recent in the series is this one "If I Were Twenty-two".

I read several pieces by these "influencers". My favorite was by Guy Kawasaki - who is described as  chief evangelist of Canva, an online graphic design tool. He's worked at Google and Apple too - so pretty decent credentials...maybe not ranking up there with First National Bank in Creston, Gits, a landfill and Iowa DNR...but, he probably makes a living.

Here are a few highlights from Guy - many have to do with the job world:
Challenge the known and embrace the unknown - in my words - don't be a Zombie
Be brief. Contrary to school, in the work place there are few minimums.  Here are guidelines: email—five sentences; presentations—tens slides and twenty minutes; report—one page.
Tell stories, do demos, and use pictures. The most enchanting people tell stories, do demos, and use pictures to influence and persuade others. They do not belittle or berate.
Make your boss look good. That is your job.
Continue to learn. Learning is a process not an event, so you should never stop learning.
He says: Don't get married too soon. He got married at 32. He said people change so much and if they rush into marriage it might be too early. I'm torn on this - yes it's true, we do change, but in good marriages - at whatever age, we change and grow together.
Enjoy your family and friends before they are gone. Nothing--not money, power, or fame--can replace your family and friends or bring them back once they are gone.

I didn't reprint the whole essay Mr. Kawasaki wrote. If you're interested - and can get to it without logging in, here is the link: Blog.

I thought I'd take a stab at my own essay. I'm an influencer. Yah.

If I were 22 - I'd trim that afro...


If I Were Twenty-Two
 
If I were twenty-two - and already knew what I know now, I would live my life differently. Of course it's easy to say now...looking in the rearview mirror.
  • Set goals - personal, job, financial. I let life just take me in its currents. I wish I'd been more purposeful.
  • Appreciating your family. I was caught up in the post-college frenzy of activities - visiting friends, weddings, getting accustomed to my job. My grandparents died when I was 23. I wish I would have spent more time with them.  
  • Friends are so important - old, new - they're all good. Make the effort to stay in touch - to get together with buddies who live nearby as well as other places. It's worth it!
  • Job-hunting sucks. It's a tough-gig. Treat job hunting as your job - be persistent and follow up on any leads. Don't be afraid of starting in an entry level position - the experience will benefit your career down the road. Every job I've had has helped me in some way later.  
  • Be a good employee - someone others can count on. Show up when you're supposed to - prepared for the job. If you're sick - don't show up and cough all over everyone and talk about how sick you are.
  • If you hate your job - do us all a favor and find another one.
  • Are you a glass half empty person? Try to figure out why...fill that cup up. There are lots of ways to do it. Exercise, therapy, fun - there are lots of ways. You might see your physician to start the conversation. Remember - no other person can make you happy - it's on you!   



No comments: