Saturday, May 31, 2014

Farewell teacher - you did a fine job

Shawn and fiance

As one goes through life...priorities change. Until I had school-age children I didn't really consider how important it is to have quality schools. When that time rolled around for us - we were blessed to be in Creston - where there is a good public school system, and there is a Catholic school. St. Malachy.

I wasn't sure I wanted to send my children to parochial school. I grew up in Atlantic where that wasn't an option - we attended Catechism on Saturdays and Wednesdays instead. Catholic school required tuition. The children would attend church each week on Thursday. There would be tradeoffs compared to attending public school.

To help decide between the two school systems, I decided to volunteer to work in the St. Malachy Library - situated right across the hall from the Kindergarten class. During that time period the school was floundering a bit at the helm. There were a couple principals who didn't work out so well. Especially the one they let go during the year. She had the bright idea of purchasing a traffic light for the lunch room - when the noise level got to high...red light! Bomb.

But, as I sat at my pretend librarian's desk I could hear what was going on across the hall - in the Kindergarten room. Ms. Shawn Milligan lovingly interacted with the young students while teaching them. She was firm when she needed to be. I liked her approach. I was sold. Paul and I attended the St. M Open House and our decision was made. Amy would attend the Catholic School followed by Jud who also had Ms. Milligan. He was in the "Big" class - 24 students, so they had a teacher's aid.

This was Shawn Milligan's last week at St. Malachy after 24 years. She is moving to Omaha and is soon to be married. Congrats to her! The town of Creston and the school will miss certainly her! I'm glad Amy and Jud had Shawn as their teacher and that I was able to known her. What a great person. Here's what she said on Facebook:

Today I closed the door on my classroom at St. Malachy for the final time. I am incredibly grateful for the past 24 years. I was blessed to have a job I loved and to work with people I enjoyed and came to love like family. Thank you for the many wonderful and sometimes stressful memories. You have left and indelible mark upon my heart and soul.

No comments: