Saturday, May 10, 2014

What's your sign? Find out here. I'm a rooster..

This morning I read a Washington Post article that said some Chinese couples are rushing to give birth during Year of the Horse. I thought it might be a little late at this point in the year to try for conception until I read that the Chinese year isn't the same as ours - so they have until mid February to pop out their lil filly or foal. They don't wish to have their child born during 2015...the Year of the Sheep (also called Goat or Ram), which has less positive attributes than the Horse. 

Supposedly nine of ten people born during the year of the sheep are...well - sheep-like. I know I sound somewhat - okay a great deal - smart ass. But we must realize this is their culture. Many of the Chinese people have been raised with these beliefs - just as we have grown up with traditions and religious beliefs of our own. It sounds funny and a bit ridiculous to us...but I'm sure it makes perfect sense to them. How many high rise building have you been in that don't have a 13th floor?

The article made me ponder...what Chinese zodiac year was I born in? Animal signs are the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. Am I a sheep? Or a Dragon - the undisputed favorite. Other top picks are the tiger and horse. Even the rat ranks above the sheep. Eeew. I Googled to find this - click here and see the input thingy on the right. I hope it's not an infected site that will take your birthdate and haunt you with it...
 Zodiac Website
Put in your birthdate and find your zodiac sign.

I'm a Rooster!

From the linked website - much of the description does pretty much nail me...I didn't copy all of it, just the highlights: StrengthsThey are deep thinkers considered to be honest, bright, communicative, ambitious, capable and warm-hearted. They have strong self-respect and seldom rely on others.
Weaknesses: They are critical and think they are always right. Like their fortunes, their emotions swing from very high very slow. They can be positive but selfish, caustic and too outspoken. They are narrow-minded and vain. (oops my bad ya'll -  I'm working on these things...)
Horoscope and Numerology ElementsAuspicious Directions: west, southwest, northeast - I grew up in SW Iowa, and love Colorado!
Lucky Colors: golden, brown, brownish yellow, yellow; Avoid white green  - what no blue?
Lucky Numbers: 7, 5, 8; Avoid: 3, 9, 1 - I have always loved #7 and am the #3 daughter
Lucky Flowers: gladiola, impatiens, cockscomb - I insisted the we purchase impatiens today at the greenhouse
Zodiac Sign Compatibility - Best match: ox, dragon, snake; Avoid: rat, rabbit, dog - Paul is a dog! Jud is a Dragon and Amy and Ox. I've done pretty well with my doggy mate.

my dogman
N Drew pillows
The WaPo article goes on to say that a spokesperson for the folk literature and art society says the zodiac superstitions are outdated and unfair. Just like the one for poor old number 13. Susperstitions die hard - because we all want that edge...anything we can do to start that little one out on the right foot...or zodiac sign!

Saturday's DSM Farmer's Market was a bit damp. It rained while we dined at the Waveland Café, but refrained from droppage whilst we walked through the market. There's something about shopping with live music in the background. Today we discovered a craft lady who specialized in Nancy Drew items.
Picked out the flowers with the steel band in the background


We stopped at Canoyers for more plants on our way home. They're like crack.

Canoyers - the mother ship is in Griswold, IA


No comments: