Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book Quote

I enjoyed this quote in a book I'm reading - the latest offering from Sara Paretsky and her VI Warshawski series. VI's real name is Victoria, and her father (long deceased) was a cop in Chicago, during those post WWII years and into the racially charge 60's.

To set up this quote, go back to the late 1960's. VI is around 10, and she's dissed her mom because her birthday party was ruined thanks to her racist mouthy aunt. VI took it out on her mother, angrily. Her father tells her "Victoria every day I have to go out on the streets and face people who think their anger counts more than anyone else’s feelings or needs."

I think that statement rings very true today. There are a lot of angry people. They've lost money, jobs, and safety nets. Their way of life has and is changing. That causes them to be scared - and being scared makes folks angry.

So I'm going to try my best to understand where they are coming from. And to take the anger all in stride. And not yell at my mother...