Thursday, October 29, 2009

Clumsy seester






My sissies above




I didn't use to be the clumsy sister (or seester as my sis's and I refer to ourselves). That was Betso, or Susi or Cindy. Not me!

As I said before on this site, I was a coordinated jocky little tom boy. I did tell you how I broke my arm - but that was no clumsy fall. I jumped from the top of the slide at my nursery school in order to escape the boys. Unfortunately I toppled onto my arm. In a controlled unclumsy fashion.

Susi on the other hand, broke her arm swinging on the neighbor's willow tree. Cindy broke her arm falling on our outside concrete steps on the ice. Betsy had no breaks that I recall but she had a whole lotta stitches. Cuz she was girly, floppy and well clumsy.

When Betsy was little - 5 maybe, she was with our sitter Lulabelle (yep that's what we all called her). Lula came when my folks were out of town overnight. She was in her 60's back then and a widdalady (widow). We loved having Lulabelle sit when we were young cuz she sure could cook. She would bake both sugar and chocolate chip cookies in one day! And she made the best fried chicken with real mashed potatoes evah. The next day she'd use the leftover chicken and make real homemade noodles for chix and noodles.

This particular day Lula was double-dipping. Sitting Betso Bean and Anne Swisher at the same time. They were at Swisher's house and they had a dog with a bad leg. I think it was a Dalmatian. Betsy decided to touch the dog's bad leg and was rewarded with a bite to the face.

I'm not sure if I was there or not (touch the leg Betsy I dare you!) No that really was more Cindo's style. But I seem to remember being at Dr. Wilcox's old office in downtown Atlantic when they stitched her up. The lore of the day is that Betsy bit the nurse when they tried to put the stitches in, and the nurse had to have a tetanus shot! So Bets always had a little scar on her cheek until high school when she had micro-surgery to stitch it up finer.

Betsy was always flopping around the house, doing cartwheels and handstands. We had a large formal living room that was perfect for that activity. There were big picture windows one could see one's self in at night. Cindy practiced cheers in there. "Hey the Trojans are out to get you tonight, so hey you Trojans fight with all your might!" (the team not the condoms)

We also had nice hardwood floor in our hallway and Dad would place his leather briefcase there when he came in on Fridays. (Probably to head to our wet bar for a stiff one...). One night Betsy came sliding out in her stocking feet, lost her balance and nailed the briefcase with her head. Stitches. Another time she got 'em due to "ringing" the pretend doorbell in our fort in the woods.

I never did have stitches until I gave birth to numero uno child, and we won't even talk about where those went! But now, suddenly I've begun to have clumsy mishaps causing injury to my body. First, just under 3 years ago after brunch at Susan's with the girls, I fell walking in cold weather. My damn knee just gave out and my hand was in my pocket.
Hmmm what's uglier - the eye or the hair?

My head bounced on the damn highway like a basketball. I bent my glasses, which gashed my face and got a black eye. My buddies (yeah some friends they are) had all run ahead and didn't even see it happen. But they did come to my rescue and luckily a guy I know pulled up to the stop sign and saw me getting up. He drove us back to Susan's and to my car. I bawled when I got home and called Paul. Embarrassed and hurt -good thing he had witnesses that he didn't do it. I don't heal quickly and had that black eye for some 6 weeks. Argh.

Last spring I fell on the steps and Joan's and this week, again on the damn steps. I hope this doesn't become the norm. I vow to be more careful!


On Friday Doc Hoyt ordered X-rays and diagnosed an emulsion fracture - my ligament pulled a bit of bone away from the main bone. Must have been the snap I heard when it happened. Black boot for 3 weeks. Uck. (with an F)


2 comments:

Betsy said...

OMG, you are making me laugh tonight!

Thea said...

I never broke anything -- not from lack of clumsiness, just lack of every doing anything physical haha-- until the first week I worked for the AEA. Stepped into (whatelse) a dog dish, lost my balance, tried to catch my fall with my wrist and BROKE it! Shouda just fallen.