Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Good sheets and cereal


In in Waterloo, at day 2 of the trash conference. Staying at the Fairfield Inn, not the Ramada attached to the conference center. Why? That motel didn't have the $50 government rate, so I searched for a place that was and ended up here. It's not bad - a division of Marriott ya know.


And it has good sheets. Not an icky germ ridden comforter like lots of motels do. Extra pillows too. At the motel continental breakfast this a.m. I had Captain Crunch. Ah breakfast of champions. My mom was a sucker for kids asking for sugary cereal!


When we were really little, I remember eating soft-boiled eggs in a special egg cup. I got a black mark at Kindergarten (evil Mrs. Christiansen) for having egg on my face. Guess we were learning the skill of face washing. But when I got a little older, Betso and I mostly ate cereal for breakfast, while Mom smoked and did the NY Times Crossword puzzle at the table.


I'll loved all the sugary stuff. Sugar Smacks, Fruit Loops (not my fave), Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Puffs and Cap'n Crunch (not with crunch berries though). Lucky Charms were good too. Then Count Chocula came out. I was a fool for that stuff - made the milk chocolaty good! We also liked Pop Tarts - my favorite was cinnamon, and Cream of Wheat with brown sugar in it.


Do you remember Carnation Instant Breakfast? I'd drink one of those AND eat breakfast. Hmmm somehow I didn't turn into a two ton tilly. Guess it was all that activity, since we only got the 3 channels on the boob tube.


Though I didn't smoke at the table, I did buy many of the sugary concoction cereals for my own kids. I know, bad mommy. Tomorrow I'm thinking of hitting the IHOP near my motel. I'm might have a waffle with chocolate chips and whip cream. Ummm just kidding - about the waffle. I'll get stuffed French Toast. Once a sweet freak...

2 comments:

Thea said...

I remember one Saturday that my brother ate about a loaf of white Wonder-type bread as toast. In front of cartoons, of course. I'm surprised he didn't lapse into a diabetic coma in front of Hanna and Barbera.

lgold said...

Helps build strong kids 12 ways!