Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New BFF

I just met my new best friend - Chris the masseuse. Remember a few months ago when I was having shoulder/neck issues? I went to my first evah chiro - Dr. Wes, another UNI grad Hawk fan, but all in all nice guy.

Doc Wes liked to pop my back and neck every week or two weeks, for months. While he helped me stop the bad spasms I didn't feel like I was actually healing. So when I had my hysterectomy, I discontinued treatments. So no popping for the past 3 month.

My shoulder/neck continues to bug me periodically, but no worse than last summer. Will I always feel like this? Baby girl Amy wanted a massage for her bday, so I set up an appointment for her with my 'ol buddy Jules in Boulder. That got me to thinking - why don't I too have a massage? But where?

It seems Doctor Wes at Waukee Wellness has a masseuse that comes in each week. I'm a little picky - I don't want just any 'ol hands rubbing on my white whale body! Andrea, the receptionist at Doc Wes's (a good Cyclone Fan) vouched for the masseuse and I signed up. In the small world Dept. Andrea's hubby Evan sits right by us at Cyclone games. I met him and their little guy (age 1) at the office last spring/summer. Then at the Army Cyclone game I noticed them all sitting by us! Just took me a minute to remember where I'd seen her before. Go Clones!

So today was the day - my very first evah full massage. I've had reflexology and a facial, even a 15 minute version of a massage. But never a full hour massage. Ahhh couldn't wait.

Did I tell you about my clumsy spell? Welp Monday night I trotted down the steps after talking to Pablo the Pool Boy. He must have left me all distracted, as once again I missed that last step. Thump! My heel caught the edge of that step and I jammed my toe into the carpet, over-extending my foot. Man did that hurt! F*&!$!# Meou! (didn't want Joan to hear me wimper)

I took off from work early today and I was shopping (no buying) at Merle Hay (sad to see all the closed storefronts) when Andrea called me to say they'd had a cancellation. So I buzzed right over and met Chris the masseuse. She explained her system and stepped out while I stripped down to my skivvies and hopped facedown onto the special table, covering up with a cotton blankie.

Chris came in and put a nice warm pad on me while she worked on my legs, being very gentle to the black and blue right foot. Then she worked her way up to my wacked left scapula. She kneaded the exact spot it hurts! She can feel the knot there. Ah it hurt so good. I loved it when she used her elbow to dig into muscles. She even did my scalp and face. It was muy relaxo.

Chris is a petite woman, I'd estimate early 40's, former Catholic now wife of Presby minister. Mom of 4 - oldest in college. She is highly educated and only realized after many years of college and what sounds like several degrees that she wanted to learn the art of massage - a one year course. She's also done personal training at the Y. She's a way nice lady. My new friend - with benefits - that I pay.

Think I'll go back when I can afford my friend again!

1 comment:

Thea said...

I used to get a monthly 1 1/2 hour massage from Morgan Rivers. She rented my upstairs in my Beaverdale house after she came back to Iowa from a couple of years in Masseuse school in Colorado, i think. The massage was part of the rent. mygod, it was fabulous. I was a completely satisfied limp noodle when she was done. Now just go once a year or so. I miss it! I agree -- you've got to be picky about your MT.