Friday, October 30, 2009

Online dating

Not me, of course. I'm blessed that I found my soulmate at age 20. Though I didn't realize it until the ripe 'ol age of 23 or so...Pablo the Poolboy is the model everyone is looking for in a mate. Everyone who is me, anyway. Perfect, but not too, cuz that would be boring! And most importantly, he puts up with me.

But I have considered...what would it be like to be single and (gulp) 52? Some of my very best friends are single. I know they each know that nobody needs someone else to "complete" them. Just like no couple has a "better half". But it is nice to have somebody you can count on. Someone to do things with and to tell about your day.

Some of my single friends would still like to meet that person. Maybe not the love of their lives, but someone to have fun with. It's not easy to meet people in our busy world. So those single ladies have tried on-line dating services - such as EHarmony, Match.com and some other ones less known.

They've kept me filled in on their experiences. Person A has had a couple long term dating relationships with guys she met online.

Person B (we'll call her R.Dob) decided to take advantage of a "Free" month on one of the online services. She got all signed up and took hints from her friends who were veterans of online dating. She started slowly, waiting for guys to "wink" at her online. Then they began emailing each other and graduated to talking on the phone. Once it was time to meet Rob, I mean Person B, met this guy at a restaurant she was familiar with. The opened wiht smalltalk and ordered drinks and appetizers. After the waitress left (this was January) the first thing out of the guy's mouth was, "What do you think about that Jigaboo we elected as president?"

RACIST ALERT! Person B said, thinking he was joking around, "What did you say?" and he repeated it. My buddy, being the open-minded and intelligent person that she is, called him on it. She said you're a liar - "you misrepresented yourself as a good guy, but you're a racist!" She threw down $10 and left him in her dust. She had a couple other experiences with guys who weren't over their last relationship and a guy who was still married. Note to all you singles out there. Free month isn't the time to try online dating!

Finally Person C, we'll call her Dogs/Pool/Big House/Warm Heart lady with a great laugh. She tried a free service and discovered the guy she met for coffee (an out of towner) was on his way from visiting his son in prison. Umm baggage alert.

I've also heard lots of success stories from online dating. So keep trying ladies! (and keep relating those funny stories!)

1 comment:

Thea said...

hahaha I was applauding R-D for her calling a bigot a bigot! And then had to laugh more at my own funny situation!! haha He didn't even realize he shouldn't have said it!! Yikes! What I'd like to know is how do so darn many dogs find me when no men can? Men don't ask directions??