Sunday, October 18, 2009

So short Long walk

I miss my baby girl. And the short itty bitty amount of time I got to see her yesterday only whetted my appetite for more time with her. It was like only getting a little corner of a Hershey Bar with almonds, and then someone snatches that candy bar away. Before you even get an almond. Our lunch with both kids at Hickory Park was nice. I'm glad Jud freed up time in his pre-tailgating partay to go with us. Of course J and Pablo began talking football right away, until Amy the birthday girl called a timeout. 

After our meal, Amy and I headed to the mall, but we didn't get much shopping together in before Paul arrived to take me away to a very cold tailgate. I mean really, forecasters. If the weather is going to suck, just tell us! We can take it. None of this "clouds breaking up" later in the afternoon. When they certainly didn't and the chill and damp like to cripple me - before the big race! I wore 3 layers and ended up adding four more layers. And I still froze my ass off. And Pablo forgot the Hot Hands! Amy and roomies came to the tailgate, and froze their tails too. 

I made a lovely Kahlua Torte for the bday and it went over quite well. We also grilled 20 hamburgers and McKims et al did lots of chix breasts. Paul's sis Jean hubby Dave and their gal Annette and hubby Jeremy Barnhart were in the house (parking lot). Jud showed up later with the gang. I was too dang cold to drink and eat. I know...tragic! It was hard saying g'bye to my kiddo - she's off to Denver again today. Last week the girl was awarded a $2 per hour raise at her job. Yay! Then it was in to el gamo. What a game it was - the Cyclones were awesome and despite not being all liquored up, I had a great time cheering, high fiving, dancing and singing. Everyone that sits around our group loves us - we're so f'ing funny! (okay in our own minds anyway). The students entertained us by organizing terrible towel wars.
 
We stayed till the end to enjoy every minute - then it was off to Joan's and my new electric blanky so I could finally warm up. This a.m. Pablo and I walked the half marathon in 3 hr 13 minutes - 13 seconds slower than I walked by myself last year. I'm nothing if not consistent! Not bad for an old gal who had her uterus ripped out in late July. Deb, Patti, Pat, Susan and Bobbie walked it in 2 hr 46 minutes - setting a world land speed record for old chix. haha We ate sannies and drank beer afterwards. I'm getting a little stiff now. Between the cold, shivering yesterday and the excessive walking today I deserve it! We sat and enjoyed each others' company after the race (though they were a couple beers ahead due to their early finish). My neighbor Nan joined - she's a runner and she finished way before me too. I love those ladies! (tomorrow night, we're bottling wine in Dexter...) Susan tried to make idle conversation with my husband by asking him about his deer. "I hear ya got a big one," she said. "Yes, I do," he replied. She turned red. He smiled smugly to himself. That man's lived with this smart ass too long!

1 comment:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

There has to be some advantage to living with a smart ass!