Friday, October 23, 2009

Red Rover




Above - Washington Elementary in Atlantic. Far right is the site of Mrs. Christiansen's Kindergarten, where Tommy Sandhorst peed around the tile clock on the floor, and Robbie Dob got me in trouble for talking during nap time. Yep, I'm blaming her and Dan Mason!


This brisk weather's got me thinking about my brown corduroy coat. I must have been in about 4th or 5th grade at Washington Elementary School - the newest of Atlantic's 3 elementary schools, when I wore it.

The schools included: Jackson Jackass - the oldest school in town. Heck my daddy went there. Lincoln Stinken was next oldest - right along Highway 6 in town. In the early 50's the town built Washington Washtub the Bullock girls' alma mater. It was in the newer part of town, and because of that, we Washington kids were perceived as the "rich kids." No matter which school we went to, we all had competitive spirits hence the naughty nicknames to go with!

Speaking of competitive, I'm the first to say I'm not a real competitive person - in MOST things. (yeah, I know Cyclone sports bring out the worst of my competitive juices). Example A: the DM 1/2 Marathon last week. Sure I was interested in my time - to see how I compare to what pace I usually walk. But I'm not interested in killing myself in order to win.

During my childhood I had an older sis who would beat me every chance she got to - even if she had to cheat! (Yeah that's you Cindo, moving your bombs in Stratego). And Betso had a fit if she didn't win, so sometimes I went easy on her just so I didn't have to deal with it.

But put me up against a boy in athletic type events and I was all about competition! I've mentioned before what a tomboy I was. I was jealous that they got all the good stuff. Cub Scout uniforms were much cooler looking than the brownie dresses I had to wear. That great blue color and oh that neckerchief! Boys got to play sports - and 60's girls only got to look forward to being a cheerleader.

So when it came to physical education (or gym class) and recess, I tried to be as good as any boy there. And before puberty I probably was equal to many of them in speed, strength, agility. Before my muy largo Pat B. legs grew, slowing me down. Yes, I will blame my mommy all my life for large legs and a small chest.

At recess, all my life I had a competition thing going on with boys. In pre-school at Mrs. Lewin's I explained in another blog about how we were playing boys chase girls, and I leaped off the large slide, falling on and breaking my arm.

Then in lower elementary, I remember again playing some type of tag. I had a reversable rain coat - with a red side and a blue side. I would tag someone, and then reverse the coat and dodge around the other kids playing jump rope and four square, trying to evade getting tagged.

In upper elementary, on a chilly muddy day like this one, we began to play the 'ol favorite "red rover" game. Where you form two lines, holding hands and facing each other. One team calls out "red rover, red rover send jimbob on over". Jimbob runs towards the other line and tries to break through the arms (holding hands) of two people in the other line. If he fails, he joins their line. If he wins he takes a "hostage" back to be in his line.

I was wearing my special brown corduroy coat on this particular day. I was known for being strong (at least in my own mind) and breaking through even the strongest of bonds on the opposing team. Sure enough, they called me on over. I decided to bust through between my nemesis, Greg Younger and some buddy of his. If I could do that - I'd be acclaimed all afternoon!

Please recall in those days, girls had to wear dresses every day, no matter how cold it might be outside. How dumb was that? Oh but ladylike! So in my slickery school shoes, jumper and coat I barreled towards Greg, determined to bust through. Right when I reached them they let go, so I didn't meet any resistance! Somehow I slipped on a patch of mud just beyond the line of kids and fell flat, getting my coat all muddy. And getting my pride all muddy as well. I don't remember if I cried, but I do remember being humiliated. Guess that's how I remember it some 40 years later!
Oh the angst of childhood. Sometimes I wonder how I survived.

1 comment:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Oow, thanks for reminding me how to play Red Rover. We were talking about the games we used to play in grade school and I couldn't remember how that one was played. And Budbo & I were talking yesterday about how competitive we both are when we play our daily cribbage games. Not so much athletically, though - at least not for me. Nope, never was an athlete.