Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Fair Lady


I was a fair lady today - as I worked in the DNR Education trailer at the Iowa State Fair. It was a little boring, but fun to people watch. The trailer is an interactive walk through experience - people can use the touch screen computers to answer questions about recycling and about hazardous materials.

I was in charge of changing the DVDs of Bill Nye Science Guy and handing out nice cloth shopping bags. And people watching.

It's amazing how many people have tattoos these days. Old women with Jesus fish on their legs. That lady was legally blind too - she had a cane anyway. How does she know if the fish is even nice looking? Younger women with flashes of tattoos coming out the top of their tank tops. Guys with them all up their arms. Skin art.

I got a half hour break and buzzed over to the potty and to get a bite to eat. Usually I like to savor my choice, but I was on a mission - so I ended up with a chix sanny and yep, fresh squeezed lemonade. Yummy. Not to mention the dutch letter for dessert.

Then it was back to the trailer to finish up the evening. I got to sit behind the counter in the entrance when Laura my co-worker went to supper. That was a more comfy position. I saw a couple of Creston gals - Ginny L in Varied Industries and Brenda S walked thru the trailer. It was fun to see a friendly face (or 2).

At 8ish I headed back to the shuttle bus and our friendly driver dropped me off near the Capitol (I rode it there too), all for $2! The area around the Capitol is pretty quiet at that time of day. I noticed the sidewalk police of Waukee would have a heyday on Capitol Hill! Can you say lawsuit?

All in all a pretty good day for working 14 hours!

No comments: