Wednesday, September 9, 2020

It's My Sappy Grandma Post


I haven't even seen her in person yet, and already she has a huge place in my heart. I'm talking about our brand new granddaughter Nell Marie. She was born to our son Judson and wife Kara on Saturday, September 5th - weighing in at 7 pounds 14 ounces, 20 inches long. She surprised us, arriving one week early! We talked to Jud on Friday and discussed that the doc would allow Kara to go as much as a week past the September 12 due date. Yeah, right. Nell had her own ideas! 

On Saturday Paul and I planned a camping trip at a remote site, Stephens State Forest near Chariton. That's the town where my grandmother Zora Clayton Stewart was born and raised. Yep, in a weak moment the weekend before, I'd let the offer slip out. "How about tent camping I said?". What was I thinking? Yet it made me smile to see how happy it made Paul. He was planning and puttering, scouring maps, and gathering the gear. 

Friday was a busy day as we had new carpet installed at home. The crew of four was efficient and they finished up quickly. Paul and I had some fun and laughs the night before moving some of the furniture not covered in the carpet deal. Have you ever noticed how similar king-sized mattresses and Jello are? We got the giggles trying to move it into the dining area. Friday was a lovely day and I was able to open up the house to air out that new carpet smell (and hopefully installation crew germs). We were able to sit on the deck most of the time they were here. We even talked to Jud who told us he and Kara took the day off and were going on a picnic. It turned out to be their last outing before parenthood!  


Paul and I tidied up that afternoon - replacing furniture etc. That night I got sidetracked by looking through a box of photos from a closet we'd carpeted. I was feeling nostalgic - some were of the kids. I sent an adorable Jud baby pic to Jud and Kara. So I take full credit for Kara's water breaking early the next morning. haha

Paul and I actually slept in on Saturday. Imagine my surprise when I saw Jud's text just after 7 a.m. - Kara's water had broken, and they were at the hospital. Kara was being induced. Holy Schnikes! We had talked it over with Jud and Kara earlier and knew that due to Covid, there was no use rushing to St. Louis. Kara's folks get "first baby dibs" for a few days and we get to visit next. We could sit around and wait or continue our adventure together and Carry On Camping. So off we went.  

Nell Marie
Nell Marie makes her entrance! 

We got a couple other updates along the way - then just after noon, while driving south, we got the text with a photo - Baby Girl G is here! Paul and I high five. He was driving - so no chance for a hug and kiss. My eyes drank her in! She looked a bit like Amy, Jud and Patrick had as newborns. But not quite. Jud said her hair had a ginger look (but now says it's blonder). 

Meanwhile, Paul and I arrived at the campsite. First problem. No restroom. Now that's a problem! We could see where one had once been - now a concrete pad. I could tell Paul was still willing, but not this old girl. It was disappointing as even I had prepared myself to snuggle in a tent. 

So we were on to Plan B - at least to go kayaking at Lake Rathbun. At Lake Rathbun we found an armada of big boats, music blaring. No thanks! We drove east trying to find lake access in shallow water where big boats can't go. Iowa's dry weather seems to have dried up those areas. Googled showed water, real-life showed weeds. We even ventured down a closed road. I was starting to hear Deliverance banjos. We laughed! We're grandparents. 

Paul and Leslie - by a Road Closed sign

Plan C. We headed north. Did I mention that during our travels south we cruised dusty gravel roads? Our kayaks and much of our gear was in the back of the truck. When we arrived at a county park just outside of Knoxville, Iowa we found that all of the camping sites were full. So we secured a lovely picnic area instead. By then we had more pictures of the baby with Jud and Kara - so nothing was going to get us down. Even all the gravel dust coating the grill, potato chip bags, sleeping bags - everything! Ugh. 






Our picnic included a toast to being grandparents with a shot of Apple Pie/Cinnamon liquor. It was fabulous. The menu was grilled hotdogs, chips, and a couple marshmallows. I'd had my heart set on one of those delicious white pillowy bites toasted to perfection! 



Then we packed up and drove home. Our campout was a washout. We had a lot of cleanup to do when we got home. It didn't matter. That baby! 

On Sunday night we were overjoyed to learn Baby Girl G's name: Nell Marie Goldsmith. It's perfect! When Kara and Jud told us they were expecting, Jud asked for the genealogy information I've gathered from many generations on both sides of my family tree. Kara did the same from her side too. Jud and Kara also perused name lists online. They did their homework on name selection! 

I would have like any name bestowed upon our beautiful granddaughter but I was especially pleased that they selected the name Nell. It's a version of a name that shows up many times in my family tree and it's in Kara's tree too. My grandmother on my mother's side was Nelle or Nellie. Nelle is my Mom and sister's Elizabeth (Betsy's) middle name. Kara's great grandmother was a Nellie. 

Yes, I'm a softee for family names. I have a cousin Amy and we have lots of Leslies, Pauls, and Davids. Judson's name comes originally from my great grandfathers George Judson Stewart and Adnah David Bullock. He is Judson David. My dad name - David Judson. And in Dad's tradition, she'll likely have several nicknames! Just like I am Looseleaf. Betsy was Lizzie Borden. Cindy = Forsythia. Susi had several - Suso-bean. Chuckle. 

In a week or so, I'll get to hold Nellbell in my arms. She'll feel just right. I can't wait! 








4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful baby, beautiful family! You and Paul will have so much fun being grandparents. It's the best! Congratulations and love to all!!��

Marnie Stein said...

Congratulations! You are a very lovely writer. How did your sister get the Lizzie Borden nickname?

S Salterberg said...

I am ecstatic for you and Paul, Leslie.

lgold said...

Hey Marnie - My dad dug deep for that one. Betsy's real name is Elizabeth Nelle. From that Dad came up with Lizzie - and everyone knows the Lizzie Borden story. He'd go on and do the whole chant. He was a funny guy - such a teaser.