Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fiction and religion

Sometimes I don't mind when an author slips a bit of the character's feelings/doubts/thoughts about spirituality into a book. I just don't like "holier than thou" attitudes.

This past couple days I've been catching up on some reading. I picked up a couple "quick reads" at the library. Robert B. Parker is one of my all time faves - he writes the Spenser books, along with Jesse Stone and now Everitt Hitch - Westerns. All the leading characters are pretty much the same guy. And all the books are filled with bits of conversation by men of few words. I read yesterday's offering "Brimstone" a western, in about 4 hours or so, finishing when I couldn't sleep after we went to bed.

Robert B. Parker books don't usually get into religion, but surprisingly, this one did broach the subject. The religious guy turned out to me a schmuck of course, in it for the power and the money. But Parker's lead character did admit that he thought the religious guy actually believed the stuff he was spouting, all while molesting a teenage girl. Jim Bakker anyone? and others...

Today I dug into "Face of Betrayal" by Lis Wiehl. I should have gotten a clue that this would be a very conservative book, as it was reviewed on the cover by Bill O'Reilly. But I must give the author credit. She inserts religion into the various character's lives, but not in an "in your face" way. I'm only about half way through so I hope it doesn't take over!

Today I had breakfast with my homies after running into them on my inaugural post-hysterectomy walk around Lake McKinley with Pablo. Ah I've missed them so! It's amazing how a bit of girl chat can lift one's spirit (speaking of religious experiences). We talked about girl stuff - BMs and sex. And got into the world's problems on which we don't all see eye to eye. But we were able to stay civil, and when conversation got a bit animated, we decided to switch back to BMs. haha! Estrogen trumps politics!

No comments: