Saturday, August 15, 2009

It was Sally's bday yesterday


Above - my bday circa hmmm 1964 or so. My Grandma Morehead is in the rocker, and it looks like we had just remodeled the screened in porch to be a family room. Note all the little dresses. Looks like I had me on some bobbie socks!
I started hanging with Sal around 2nd grade I think. We had a large group of friends - prolly because we are boomers. After WWII the peeps popped out kids right and left. I think Mom kept very busy dressing me (and my sissies) birthday parties and buying gifts.

I recall little girl bday parties at Robbie Dob's, Sal's, Theresa's, Sherry Smith (our grade), Christie Jo's, C Peterson's, Debbie Grote's (she moved away in like 6th grade) and D. Thompson's (she later got pg - in 9th grade and went away, only to come back sans bambino a year later), and more. Also in our neighborhood - Julie Buckingham (another one that moved away), Lee Lee Van Nostrand, and me nextie Laurie Reinertson.

We played birthday games a course. Pin the Tail on the Donkey, pop the balloon with your ass, some game with clothespins and more. We won 'lil prizes doing the games. In fact C Peterson didn't with at Chris's party and she tried to steal some of the prizes by sticking them in her skirt waistband. They fell out later - busted Cindy! That's why even today, since my whole fam has heard this story, they can shout out "Stealer Peterson" which the Dorff clan called her forever more.

My mom was a whiz at making wonderful cakes for our birthday parties. We had so many friends invited that we were ensured a gaggle of gifts. One year I received 3 piggy banks that were all the same - 2 blue and 1 red. We also got little toys and our fave, porcelain horses.

Mom would often arrange our parties downstairs at our house. The laundry room served as the spot to lay out the food. There was a bottle opening on the wall in that room - convenient!

Later, when I was old enough, the parties turned into slumber parties, though slumber was not descriptive at all! More on slumber parties later.

No comments: