Saturday, August 29, 2009

Aaaar, talk like a pirate


Above - our guy pirates in the hot tub at our Vegas rental home last year.
One of my new fave holidays is coming up in some 20 days. National Talk Like a Pirate Day - September 19 - the birthday of my oldest sis Susi, and a buddy Christine. Plus my co-worker's son Trent who will be 4.

I learned of this holiday just last year when I was out in Vegas - my first trip ever to sin city. We went with 2 other couples (the same Dee, Don, Sharon and Al that we did last weekend with - hmmm alcohol, trips it's a common theme with all of us) for the ISU football game there in September. God knows ISU doesn't make it to many bowl games, so we decided to treat that game as our bowl.

S&A rented us a beautiful 4 bedroom house in Vegas for the long weekend - Thur - Sun. It had a pool with a hot tub. Paul and I won the lotto for the master bedroom - with its own huge closet and bathroom. But the whole place was pretty nice.

We were just getting situated when I got a call from someone I know in the trash biz - Sara runs the landfill in the Pella area. She mentioned to me that it was talk like a pirate day the next day. And that got us going for the whole weekend. Aaar, me mateys!

We mostly hung out by our pool (beverage and book in hand) that weekend. But we also saw some sites of Vegas, Henderson, Hoover Dam and old Vegas. We rode the roller coaster drunk, attended the ISU pregame party at Hooters that was one big Clone lovefest. I took pics there.

The game was pretty good, though the outcome was a heartbreaker in typical Cyclone fashion. We tied it up only to lose in OT. They actually serve alcohol at games in Vegas - there are no topless showgirls there but you can get Jim Beam! We made due tailgating in our rented van - pulling the back seat out to relax in. We saw some people we knew in the crowd - there were something like 10,000 fans there.

My Facebook page is set up in Pirate English, which is amusing to me. I know I'm a bit wacky for a 51 year old wench...

3 comments:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Are you talking (like a pirate) about the roller coaster at the top of one of the hotels? You've have to be drunk to get on that! (Or crazy.)(Or both.):D TLAP Day is one of my daughter's favourite days.

Anonymous said...

AH...I made the blog in 'code'!! mar

Thea said...

i will always associate you with pirate speak. is that a good thing, matey? haha