Sunday, August 16, 2009

The other L&P


Our doppelgangers, the other Paul and Leslie G are celebrating their 30th anniversary on the 18th, and several people have sent notes to give us a hard time. Though we've never met them, those two have shadowed our lives through the past 27 years. Our anniversary isn't until the 28th of August and it's only 27 years.



It was 27 years ago that my HS friend Candace sent a letter with a clipping about them having a kid - when we weren't even married yet. haw haw. They lived (and still do) live in Chariton. And they have a couple kids - boy and girl. In these past 27 years we've learned a great deal about this couple. I wonder if they've been mistaken for us too.



When we moved to C-town some 23 years ago people began to relate to us tales of the couple who lived some 60 miles to the east of us. We learned Paul G. is the county attorney while Leslie is a teacher. A few people I've met through the years have lived in Chariton and know them. Funny.

Then, after we had lived in Creston a couple years, I got a call one evening from a woman who said something like - "It's so&so, you know your college friend!" and I was all like WHO? and she repeated and added some little funny memory of something she had done with Leslie Gsmith. And I searched my memory bank - that was long ago and I'm not a iffy on memory as I tend to be now. Umm Nope. Don't know ya! We finally figured out she was talking about the other LG.

A few years went by. I had surgery at a DM hospital and when I checked in they told me to review the information on my bracelet they put on you. Arg - it said Leslie M Gsmith birthdate 5/4/57 - that's strangley similar to my 11/4/57 date, and my middle name after my aunt Martha. Too eerily similar!

Five years or so ago I was sitting on our beautiful deck, and Paul brought me the phone and a child said, "Mrs. Gsmith what time are we supposed to be on the bus for the field trip tomorrow?" I stammered back "where are we going?" while thinking crazily "Did I line up a field trip to some recycling venue that I don't remember?" But the kid explained they were going to the zoo in Omaha. Aha, I said - you're talking about the other Mrs. G. Phew, no zoo trip for me!

The final coincidence proved to be beneficial to me - I received a heavy box one day, a few months after Dad passed away. It proved to be 2 bottles of nice wine a chardonnay and a red. It had a nice note saying how lovely it was to meet me and how was my daughter doing on her trip? (Amy was away in Italy) But the kicker was when it got to the end of the note it said "I hope you stay in teaching." Again...hmmm no not me. So I emailed the gifter - lucky she included that on the note - saying Wrong LG! She emailed back and said "enjoy the wine." Sometimes it's nice to be the other LG! Wonder if she's gotten any good things meant for me??

No comments: