Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Dammit


My memory is so very fleeting. I had a good blog idea earlier today, but now under pressure, it's gone! It's very frustrating - and it's happening more frequently now that I'm over 50. I believe it is just because my mind contains so very much information that some of it is bound to be lost or misplaced.

I've suffered for years from some bits of needed bits of information just beyond my reach. I might know what it starts with, and what the word or thing isn't. For example, if we're trying to think of a bar that was in Ames while we were in school, he might say Alibi. And I know that's not the one I was thinking of. But last week it took me 2 days to come up with Granddaddy's Disco. Dang...

I really hate it when I call people by the wrong name. Do you ever assign the wrong name to someone (inside your head) and then you have to convert it to the correct name every time? I do. There is a woman who works at the library whose name is Terri. But I want to call her Vicki every time. In fact I did once and then was appalled when I read her name tag at checkout time. I had to apologize. Yet just last week I was tempted to call her that again!

Today was an okay day. I took a walk across from the Wallace Building the State Capitol and ate my lunch while reading a good book in the shade of a large tree, sitting on a bench. It was quite delightful! And I wasn't quite so exhausted today, though I took off at 4:15 again, to beat the crowd out of the parking garage. Tomorrow is the State Fair parade and I'm going to skedaddle (is that a word?) early to take my new el carro in to get the rear view mirror put on. It's got a compass - essential for someone as forgetful as myself!

No comments: