Saturday, March 12, 2011

Self medicating


Fine batch of Cheetos served up on Styrofoam at Sidetracked...


My parents were in the nightly cocktail generation - especially Dad. Each evening (It's 5 o'clock somewhere) he had to break out the drinkie-poos. For his traveling years, he had a special little black suitcase for his liquor. He had to have his bourbon - Ancient Age.

As a single parent during the week (Dad was on the road selling Lorraine Lingerie), I don't recall Mom sipping cocktails during supper prep. I think she was too busy supervising four girls and cooking! At least while we were younger. To my recollection though, most of our parents and people their age - and my grandparents and their friends - partook in the nightly cocktail ritual.

Sometimes I understand it. Last night was one of those nights. About 2 PM yesterday I texted our buddies: "I feel the need for a drop of lemon at A&G tonight". A lemondrop martini was on my mind. So by 6:45 PM I was .5 inches down on martini #1. I could feel the medicinal effects of relaxation. Ahhhhh. Two is my limit. (1 martini, 2 martini, 3 martini floor ya know). And I have gone the floor route once or twice...it's not pretty!

I always order water along with my drink - for hydration purposes. When McKims and McFees arrived we ordered pizzas to go with our drinks. It's always a good idea to eat while medicating, right? I stuck with water after 2 drinks. Enough meds...

At least until we went to Sidetracked (they don't do martinis - so I went with a vodka tonic there - they even had limes!). It's a dive bar that for some odd reason, the gang loves. It's on the south side of the railroad tracks and is a nuts and bolts blue collar place. With a crowd to go with it. The guys love to joke about the Cheetos - that we'll all leave with orange around our mouths and if we get lucky that night the orangey powder will appear in the morning on other body parts...keep dreaming Donnie!

I don't need nightly medication. But a drop of lemon every once in a while, along with laughter with friends sure does go a long way toward getting through the stresses of life!

No comments: