Monday, February 15, 2010

Bestest movie


Sister Mary Debra, Fr Art and me
Disclaimer - think I blogged about this before...but it is a damn good story!
Another frozen Sunday - Pablo and I resorted to watching movies from our huge (not) movie library yesterday. We watched my fave movie of all time "The Sound of Music". I've also got the CD recently uploaded to my iPod - so naturally I couldn't resist singing along. (I thought I detected Paul also singing along during certain songs).

Watching the show, I couldn't help but remember the time Deb P and I went to "Sing Along Sound of Music" at the Civic Center in DM. It was perhaps five years ago. Attendees were to come in costume - and we wasted no time in rounding up nun costumes. Deb, naughty Planned Parenthood manager that she is, has her own nun costume from the time the PP workers went out for Halloween dressed as the "Smokin' Drinkin' nuns".

I borrowed Deb's co-worker's costume, unfortunately I didn't have the handcrafted foil wrapped cross on a string like Deb did. She must have been the reverend mother...But we did look pretty good. It was funny, parking at the old library and walking across the street in the nuns costumes - wimples (sp?) and long gowns.

There were lots of other good costumes and other folks who just came to sing. We got a packet of goodies when we bought our tickets - some edelweiss, a party favor that pops (for the big celebration at George's house) and more stuff I don't recall. Similar to Rocky Horror Picture Show, there were instructions - such as Hiss when the Baroness is talking.

Of course everyone sang along throughout the movie - I love each and every song! One time, on my way to a job interview, I played "I Have Confidence" to help pump me up. (can't remember what the job was and whether or not I got it, but by golly I remember that!).

At Intermission, Deb and I went down on stage for the costume contest! We were on the freakin stage at the Civic Center! There were some awesome costumes - people wearing lederhosen, Marias, and my fave - people dressed as Alps, complete in green felt mountain. (they ended up winning).

Deb and I also ran into a Catholic priest who grew up in Creston, Fr. Art McCann - he was an usher at the Civic Center. He was the chaplain at Methodist when Patrick was rushed there for diagnosis - and he baptized and confirmed our baby boy. So I have a special place in my heart for the guy. (see my blog about gay marriage and the church where he is also mentioned...) Deb and I got our pic taken - he in his tux and we in our nun outfits!

After the show, we stopped, still in costume, at Olive Garden. They were quick to seat us and we got lots of stares. I was glad to get the gear off in the end. I wish they'd do it again - we could get a big group to go! Or what about Sing Along Wizard of Oz? Good time!

1 comment:

Thea said...

What a fun adventure! I have to say that Deb looks very realistic in that costume! :)