Friday, February 26, 2010

Tom Henningsen




One of my dad's buddies passed away Wednesday. Dad grew up with Tom Henningsen in Atlantic - their parents were friends. Tom always called him Bullock. Tom was the step dad of my friend Robbie Dob.

I've blogged before about how Tom and Robyn's mom Jody rocked Atlantic with their scandalous marriage post divorce from their original spouses - all in the same friend group - in 1969. They must have truly been soulmates though, as they were married 40 years! So Dad and Tom had a few years in there they weren't close - as friends chose sides with the marriage splits. But in the last 20 years or so, they've been like grumpy old men - enjoying fishing trips to Canada and South Dakota.


One time, not so long ago - when they were already OF (Old Farts) and Tom had palsy pretty bad. Tom piloted Dad and himself to someplace in Canada. They were met by the border patrol at the airport where they landed. Something about failure to file a flight plan...the cops backed off when they saw it was just two old guys wanting to do some fishing. The next year, Tom's son Mike flew them!

After Dad had his stroke in 2002, and I was staying with him for a couple days, Tom came over and spent the evening with us. That was the most time I ever spent with him. He was an opinionated, crusty but very loyal guy and he loved my daddy.
Tom lived large - his family biz was Henningsen Construction, building steel buildings and asphalt roads. He was a pilot and he and Jody spent lots of time in the Bahamas in the winter. They loved to sail too. He liked to hunt and drink - a man's man who loved ladies and hunting dogs - and his family.

Paul and I are heading to the memorial service tomorrow - mostly to be there for my friend Robyn. I will also enjoy seeing my parents' friends - the ones that are left. I'm looking forward to that hug from Rob.

Post Script - after the Memorial Service and gathering in Tom's honor at the Airport

The hugs were worth the trip, and I was honored to represent the Bullocks at these events. Rob is looking good and she and sis Karla were watching out for their mother. Jody is now settled into Heritage House, and she expressed concern that she'll be lonely - I hope her friends remember to stop to see her and take her to lunch etc. Karla looks good - and we talked about cooking and food, as she asked about Cindy's son Colby.

The Henningsen girls Lynn and Christie still look the same - attractive women - both live in Florida these days. Their brother Mike has lived in Atlantic for a long time - his youngest daughter Beth played sports against Amy. I talked to her - she's in Phys Therapy school at Iowa - will graduate next December.

The Oakmont Condo was well represented - we got to see:



  • Don Reinertson who was our longtime neighbor at 202 Crombie - his wife Rosemarie died years ago and he has hooked up with Betty Gee - another longtime friend of my folks. It was fun reminiscing with Don about their family and how I enjoyed playing at their house - the pool table and the wonderful electric box Don's brother built so we could play Jeopardy.

  • Jim and Suzanne Klein - they played a lot of golf with my folks, and Jim said he thinks of Dad a lot

  • Floyd and Edna Heithoff - Edna is turning 80 this year and all the kids will be back to celebrate, Floyd was such a good buddy to Dad - helping him move into and back out of Assisted Living

  • Collete and Chuck Kinen - who lived downstairs from Mom and Dad, their daughter Lynn lives here with her family. They miss Dad and how he used to be the social reporter of the condo, checking in on everyone

In addition I saw


Carol Wilcox - who is the wife of dear Doc Wilcox - he birthed most if not all of the Bullocks. He used to make house calls (I recall the dreaded rectal thermometer on the "good" couch in the formal living room). And her daughter Tressa who is also a doc was there as well. Dwayne passed away years ago


Huey & Donella Ross - their daughter Barb said - Betsy you must go talk to my parents! I got called Betsy a few times - what is the name Leslie hard to remember?


I talked to Helen Hutchinson - didn't see Hutch her hubby - hope he's okay. Scott Deter was there.


The Tyler girls - Lou Ann, Amy Jo, and Janie - told me I resemble my mother, even my motions. It made me glad - not that I'm built like her, but that someone remembers her that well! Gone but not forgotten. Their brother Kirk was there too.


Don Henningsen - Tom's cousin, who also grew up with Dad, got there right towards the end. His beloved wife Barbie died this past year and he's not okay. He was glad to catch up and hear about the Bullocks.


My classmate Robin Kautz was the biggest surprise there - I'd fogotten he worked for Henningsen - 33 years now! Robyn had to whisper to me who he was, because I wasn't expecting him - and he had a beard. Like many who work outdoors - he looks old! I spose I do too - especially if I'm looking like my mother!

No comments: