Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The club

I got one of those phone calls today. The kind that upset one's world. You know how it is, you put everything in its place, and sooner or later a chunk pops out (big or small) and upsets your world is rocked - and not in a good way.

My friend Pat's daughter was found dead yesterday, apparently of a drug overdose. Those are the only details I know right now. She was in her late 20's - a great student athlete from Creston. I didn't know her well, but appreciated her talents. She was a good friend to our neighbor Abbie, and our former babysitter Erin.

Pat is one of my homies - somebody I do things with in groups. She in our walking/breakfast group and of course that group has come up with lots of other excuses to get together lately. Girls need their friends. Pat's son Steven is Jud's age and there were at Malachy classmates. He went to Marco Island one spring break with us a few years back.

Jessica attended Luther College in Decorah, and then I believe went on to grad school at the U of I. Lately, last I know she was back in Decorah working as a waitress, living with several people. But Pat's pretty quiet about her children, not volunteering much. Her husband Steve is just plain quiet.

Pat has a very close knit family - I am sure she'll need their support to get through this awful time. Sadly, when something this happens, all I can think is - now there is a new member of the club. The one that no one should ever belong to - the deceased child club. It's like that Eagles song Hotel California - you can never leave.

I write this with a heavy heart. Please keep Pat and family in your prayers.

No comments: