Saturday, February 13, 2010

8 Below


Blubber - that's what the dogs that got left behind in Antarctica ate to stave off starvation in the corny movie "8 Below". And that's what I did watching the last hour of that corny movie yesterday afternoon.

I can watch movie characters die right and left with nary a tear shed (sometimes - it does depend on the character...). But hurt an animal, and my heart breaks.

Could stem from my Dad - the torturer. He'd say - "Oh no, Lassie's really not going to make it this time!" as we watched that TV show. "She dies in the well". Oh how we'd panic - until Mom would yell, "Dave cut it out!" I think even Dad cried on Old Yeller. Remember all those Disney shows featuring animals? Thomasina, That Darn Cat, 101 Dalmations, Black Beauty. And on. I loved 'em all!

I am a real softy for animals. Always have been. I treat my animals much better than I do some people. No comments from the peanut gallery on that one (that's you Amy). Most animals deserve it more than some people!

My pets are always there for me. First, my Juddy dog, then horses Frosty and Jack. Then Bucko - yeah he was mean and neurotic, but he did love me best. That's why he bit me. Then my beloved Mokster - Moki the wonder dog. Samantha the Pantha, a/k/a Kitty. And my loyal Odie Pearl. I love how jaunty she gets when I reward her with a "chewie" rawhide.

So don't make me watch horses get tripped and shot in battle. The bad guy can shoot people - just don't hit the dog. Unless you want to hear me blubber.

No comments: