Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Walking on the wild side


My wild child buddies - clockwise from 8 o'clock - Robbie Dob, Chris Watson, me, Pammy, Sal and Jules

Chris Watson

Sal - around 6th grade


As much as I pretend my sis Bets is the goody two shoes of the family, I've not been much of a wild child either. Except for a couple times. One of them I'll blame on Sally.

It happened my freshman year of high school. I was still trying to find myself - who was I? Who were my friends - kids I knew from preschool? Or kids from the other grade schools in town? Was I a good girl? Or a wild child?

Sally discovered boys by our frosh year - and they sure found her. She liked a couple hoody guys her that year - Steve Comes and Tab Gaines. Both older, both with cars. Both from the "other" side of the tracks. Me - I was built - welp much like I am today. Flat, and curves but not in the best places. Not a guy magnet me.

I plunged into high school life - Espanol with Senior Seufert, Geography, Honors Algebra and English. I alternated friend groups - keeping busy. One weekend my horsey, swimming childhood friend Sally asked me to stay all night. Then she sprung the news on me that we were sneaking out so she could meet up with her current honey Tab (I think??). Her parents did not approve of the guy. They did like me a lot though.

So of course I got a lil sleepy awaiting the witching hour (I'm trying to paint myself as the reluctant bad-ass here, but hell, I could have been all for it - I don't remember all that part). Sally's room was in the basement - which made it easy to creep out after Wayne and Anna Day went to bed. We walked a couple blocks and met Sal's man in the car at the pre-approved time (pre-cell phone - we had to rely on watches...).

Then we cruised - ironically out past the very barn where we kept our horses, down a dirt road to a camping site by the Nishna Botna River. Chris Watson was there with her BF Dave Popp (or the Popper). Other assorted hoodlums were there - I was out of my league. People were eating frozen pizzas cooked over a campfire. I found out the pizzas had been stolen from the Schwann's warehouse up the road! Argh - I nearly choked on the purloined 'zas!

Sally went off to make out with her man, and I was stuck sitting there with his much older brother. Not much to talk about. Didn't want to get to know him! Couldn't wait to leave. Soon it was time to skedaddle (not sure of spelling, but it means get out of there). Tad (or Steve, just can't remember which one it was) dropped us off a few blocks from Sal's house and we began to hoof it. It was around 2 a.m. Before we got to her house, a blue Chevy Caprice with a white roof began to drive toward us. Gulp! - Wayne Rodgers in his Walnut Grove car. Busted!

He didn't say much that night. He didn't have to. I felt awful. He and Anna Day were two of my favorite people in the whole world. And I let them down. Of course we lied and told them we had been out tee peeing with Robyn. My parents made me go apologize to the Rodgers the next day - a very difficult thing to do!

Scared straight...that episode was enough to scare me straight! I quit hanging out with that particular group of people, and began to pal around with Chris D and Paula. Sal stuck with her wild ways - giving her a very bad rep - through sophomore year. And she dated bad boys throughout high school. She and I hooked up again as pals in college, after the teen angst years. Tomorrow night - another exciting episode of Leslie in the AHS years.

No comments: