Monday, February 1, 2010

Dryer sheets


I went a little crazy recently and purchased some flavored (scented) dryer sheets. That's pretty wild for me, because with our fair skin, and Pablo's penchant for hunting, I usually stick to the unscented sheets.

Our fair skin breaks out and rashes up easily! One time Jud broke out in huge hives from eating holiday Lucky Charms - all that green and red dye. Plus scents sometimes bug me due to my migraines. Okay now we sound like seriously genetically challenged, or at least hypochondriac-like. But don't get me started about some chicks and their perfume...

So, with all that background, you now know what a stretch it was for me to get almond vanilla dryer sheets. Every time I smell them....I think of my grandpa, Bubba, and his pipes. Smokin'

Bub smoked a pipe right to the end. The last time I saw him, he was in the Atlantic hospital, using his flame thrower pipe lighter to light up. Nearly getting his eyebrows instead. He spent a lot of time lighting pipes - more probably than he actually smoked them.

Bub kept his pipe collection in a special case that sat right by his chair in their home at 909 Poplar. I loved to open up the lid and get out each pouch of tobacco and take a deep whiff. Such a mellow aromatic tobacco smell. The pipes themselves had a smoky ashy smell. But those pipe cleaners were fun to play with.

So Bubba, wherever you are - every time I do laundry I think of you!

No comments: