Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Phon-A-Phobia and the Big Freezy

You'd think this would cure me. Alas I'm beyond curing. My name is Leslie and I'm a phone-a-phobic. While I don't mind talking to loved ones and chatting with friends on the phone, I detest making most calls.

I always have! I remember back when I was a tot (okay I was a teen) and Mom made me call my own damn 4-H leaders - adults, for information. Can you believe she didn't do it for me? Okay, that was probably smart of her, but it didn't help. I got cold sweaty palms then, and even today I drag my feet before dialing. I'm glad my daughter didn't get that tenancy from me. She's a good phone talker.

Today was the day I've been waiting for - a visit to my new neurologist to talk about my migraines, which have been bad this winter. My DM med person - Nurse Practioner Sheryl Young's nurse called me with the appointment after I called Sheryl for a referral. I wanted to see a female neuro, as I haven't been to one since my last one - she who shall not be named, cuz I can't remember her name - retired. I liked her too - she was the first one to really understand that hormones do come into play when it comes to headaches!

So Sheryl's nurse called me with the appointment details, Dr. Heike Schmolck - German, who has an office at Mercy in the East Tower. Google Maps, and other quests for location only netted the basic Mercy Medical plaza. The hospital where my inner nether parts were removed (hysterectomy) in July.

I left work at 10 a.m. for what I thought was a 10:30 a.m. appointment. Due to "winter of constant blizzards - 2010" I trudged through snow and cold to my car and drove on very slickery streets to Mercy. I didn't see a blinking sign saying "east tower park here!" So I ended up entering one of the two parking ramps attached to the complex. I nearly drove all the way to the top and had to walk the full length of the ramp, through the cold to get into the building.

Then I did a good rat in a maze imitation, but I am proud that I overcame my manlike tenancy to not ask directions. A nice volunteer lady (I want to be her when I grow up) told me where to go. I only had to ask one other person on the way too! Hospitals give me the creeps...

When I finally got to my destination - at 10:25, what timing, I was chagrined to find out from the receptionist that my appointment is actually set for the 19th, not the 9th. Hmmm I had considered phoning ahead, as I hadn't heard from the Doc's office with a reminder. But Hell I though - they probably called my home in Creston. So I talked myself out of it.

One phone call could have saved me that awful trip. When I got back to the DNR parking ramp, I was forced to park on floor 4 - nearly on the top!

The day did end better than it started though- I scored a cardigan sweater (cream color) and a long sleeve tee for a total of $14.98. Yes, ladies and gents the thrill of finding a bargain is back! Lookout Pablo!

No comments: