Saturday, February 6, 2010

Whistling past the cemetery

Last night was the wake and visitation for Jessica Moeller, 30 year old daughter of our friends Pat and Steve, and brother of Jud's classmate Steven. She died of a drug overdose and was discovered Monday at her home in Decorah. If you read my blogs this week you know this tragedy brought out a lot of grief feelings from our own tragic loss some 18 years ago.

It was good to finally see the family - and to hug them. And to cry with them. Jess's cousin stood up after Monsignor Stessman (he was pastor here when we first moved to town and baptized Jud, filling in for Fr. Pins who was on retreat) did the prayer service. He talked about when Jessica lived in San Diego with his family during a college summer. It was very touching.

We saw many of our "class of 2007" friends at the visitation and decided we should head to A&G for badly needed drinks and pizza. When life gives you lemons - drink lemondrop martinis - I had 2. (just under the 1 martini, 2 martini, 3 martini floor limit). And better yet, we got to visit with not only Bobbie and Jeff, Donnie and Dee - loyal friends in good times and bad, but with Hydes, Weis's, Lents, Millers.

We are all so sad for Moellers. And if you're like me, we were also breathing a sigh of relief (whistling past the cemetery) that this time, it wasn't me in front for the visitation. I know - it's selfish - but a natural feeling I think. We laughed after we cried with Moellers - Dan Miller is so damn funny. It was much needed.

Today I felt kinda selfish. Yes, I cried for the family and their loss. But I also cried for myself at the funeral mass. I couldn't help myself. Though I really could have sobbed at times, and I didn't resort to that. That situation - and the funeral in our church where Patrick's funeral was - with On Eagle's Wings playing - was just too close to home. It hurt. I hurt for the family.

I'm glad it's over with. Pat, Steve and Steven have a long way to go, but they've got this step over with. Prayers to them.

No comments: