Friday, February 5, 2010

Water my solace


I love the water. It's very therapeutic for me - like a massage, or meditation. I needed the water this week. It was a long one. Work was difficult - only to be dwarfed by the sad news about Jess Moeller.

So this a.m. I headed out to the good 'ol Southern Prairie YMCA for a dip! My foot - yeah the one I broke - bothered me for the last week or so. I know not what happened - no clumsy trauma on my part that I recall. Maybe I just overdid it walking at the Y the week before - I did do a little jogging. I know - totally unlike me to run. This week my foot felt like just after I got out of "the boot".

The pool was a good way to get some exercise without stressing it too much. I didn't life weights, or walk to warm up - just popped into the water at 6 a.m. sharp. Water aerobics was happening in the shallow end, so I did short way laps - fake breast stroke (not using my Sunnyside Pool record-setting form - using my "don't get my hair wet because it's chemically enhanced form) alternating with deep water walking.

I have a long history with pools - stemming back to childhood when my mamma was Spiro Agnew to Betty Pellett's President Nixon. Betty was the grand puba of Red Cross Swimming lessons in Atlantic. Mom helped with those and we also headed to Griswold to the Boy Scout Camp (now a Catholic camp) to teach the little rural Cass Countians to front float.

I have vivid memories of that summer - I must have been 9ish. The pool at the scout camp was in a park where there was a cave where Jesse James hid. Big stuff for someone my age! That summer I was learning to do the elementary back stroke. When the instructor (not my mother or Betty Lou) showed us on land how to do the whip kick, she of course left one foot on the ground. So that was exactly how I did it in the pool - and losing track of where I was, I smacked my head into the pool wall. (yes, an excuse for my behavior today...)

I remember listening to Herman's Hermits "Henry the 8th" during the 20 minute drive to Griswold. There was a commercial on the radio for Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer, but I thought they were saying Razzle Frazzle Root Beer. I was very proud that my mommy was one of the important people at the pool.

And that is just one of the gazillion memories I have - joyous times that involved swimming. Today was one too - my best bud Debbie joined me. So I could exercise my mouth as well as my body. Deb is therapy just like water! My swim today was good.

No comments: