Sunday, January 24, 2010

The sun will come out


From left - Vicki (visiting Omaha for her bachelorette party, Rob (look at those heels!), Chris and me in my ugly Hawaiian shirt and topsiders - ever the preppie.

Bet your bottom dollar that the sun will come out....(from that kinda irritating Annie song) eventually (my word). After many long gray, misty foggy depressing days, I got up to a glowing orange orb in the sky today.

I'm sure it won't last - somehow the snow on the ground and the wind or lack thereof will combine to make clouds/fog again shortly. I think they're even calling for snow showers today. But for now it's sunny alleluia! (what kind of a word IS alleluia anyway???).

Speaking of Little Orphan Annie, I went to see that once with my HS buddies. It was just after college (if this was a film, it would show a way-back time machine in my mind) when Robbie Dob, Christie Jo and I all lived in Omaha. To frame this story I must return even farther back to late grade school - around 6th grade?

That was when Robbie Dob's parents decided to get a deeevorce. It was not something that happened a great deal back then. People were more likely to stick out marriages - even bad ones, because of the stigma involved in divorcing, religious views and who knows what else.

Robyn's Mom, Jody had fallen in love with the husband of another couple in my parent's large group of friends - Tom. Tom is someone my dad grew up with - they were longtime friends.

Suddenly, Robyn and her sis Karla (Cindy's age) and Tom's children (Mike, Lynn and Christie) were all stuck in the middle of this triangle. Not a good place to be - I'm sure the divorce and the aftermath had a huge effect on the children. Because it also had an effect on the rest of us.

Suddenly Jody and Tom were on the blackball list. They were no longer welcome in my parents' circles. Bridge club, poker club, golf groups - they were no longer welcome. And Atlantic is a small town! J & T paid the price for their relationship that's for sure.

These days, divorce is common in Atlantic (and everywhere else). It's more common to find mixed families instead of original married couples. But back then, Mom had a hard time dealing with my friendship with Robyn, since she didn't even wish to speak to Jody. And that went on through those junior and senior high years - and made sneaking out ever so much more easy!

So, by 1981, after ten years or so went by, Mom and Dad's group of friends slowly allowed Tom and Jody back into the group. Robyn, Chris and I all ended up living on Omaha. I was in my job stint as Office Manager at Gamble Robinson - now a parking lot in the Old Market. Rob worked at various jobs - dental assistant for one and Chris worked at an insurance company.

Jody, Rob's mom invited us all to attend Little Orphan Annie at the Orpheum Theater in Omaha - a beautiful venue that had been redone. We were delighted to attend. After the show, we were all in a singy mood (Jody had a nice voice and was known for leading the way in sing-a-longs at the country club bar). I sang (to tune of Tomorrow from Annie) "Thank you Jody Bredensteiner (she'd been Henningsen since her marriage to Tom)" and immediately realized my faux pas. Chris whispered Bullock, you F'd up!" and I had!

Just saw my neighbor Kit walk by all bundled up. She's out enjoying the sunshine. Think I will too!

No comments: