Friday, January 22, 2010

Damn proud and the fog


It's been foggy for weeks in Iowa. And after the ice cameth (I know not a word...), it's foggy and icy. But it's the gray that's getting to everyone - the lack of sun. It's depressing.

That's why I was so pleased and proud today when our son Jud called to say he got a summer internship job offer! Just after Christmas, Jud had a phone interview with the John Deere Corporation. He said it went fine, but he also was the kid who once told me he got all the questions right on his Basic Skills test. Okay, that was in 2nd grand or something, but I still tend to wonder about his self evaluation skills.

So he told us last week that he'd heard from the interviewer who would contact him for another interview. He hadn't heard from her by Friday and wondered if he should contact her again. Paul told him it wouldn't hurt to email her. Then, earlier this week he told Paul that he was to interview again via phone on Tuesday.

Guess what? He thought that went really well too. Oh, be still my heart. Don't get our hopes up. Things like that don't happen for Jud I told myself. He has no experience in his chosen major - Logistics and Supply Chair Management. He mumbles on the phone.

You see, oh me of little faith still flashes back to Old Jud - the young one who had tantrums and was kinda surly and unapproachable for adults. He had a reputation in middle school as a hothead when it came to sports. He struggled his freshman year in school, and acted furious that we demanded more effort.

Oh sure, he's done a 180 since high school. His frosh year of collecge, after his roomie moved out of the dorms at Christmas, I thought he was going to be a hermit in his room - one of those kids who only plays video games. After all, Steve is the social one - more outgoing than Jud by far! He surprised even himself, I think, by making friends with a large fun group of guys and girls. Jud was popular!

And all our friends and family have commented what a different kid he seems to be. Especially when you get him going - one on one. He can talk your ear off - just like that 3 year old we once knew.

Old Jud does pop up now and then - during our Christmas trip over that 3,000+ miles he was a little crabby a couple times. But so was I. Over all we got along well, and my relatives all gushed over how outgoing he is.

Even so, I didn't want to get my hopes up. When he told Paul the interviewer was very positive and complimentary, and he was expecting a job offer I still couldn't believe it.

Knock my socks off - he got the job! A wonderful opportunity for Jud to check out what life in the real world - in a factory is like. I think everyone should have one factory job - just so you appreciate all it takes to make products. So you appreciate the job factory workers do!

He'll work in Moline, IL - (the dark side...Hawkeye Country), and will live at St. Ambrose University with other interns. I'm so very proud of Jud. He'll be 21 on the 30th. Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

yay juddie buddy! he texted me that earlier...going to be making twice as much as me! now i know who to ask for money.

Kris said...

Yes, looks like Jud and Kim will be out-earning us if they keep on their current tracks. We'd better think of something to put them in their rightful younger-sibling place, like stealing their toy truck and making them kiss to get it back. Muahahaha!