Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pure as the driven

I'm getting my fill of driving in snow this winter. We've had a lot, and I even missed some while on my whirlwind tour of
Kansas
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
and back to Kansas to home sweet home.

But before I left, I drove in lots of the fluffy white stuff. I know, I waxed poetic and nostolgic about the stuff - sledding, hours spent playing in it. Yeah, yeah. I'm over it.

What happened to the winters where we barely got any? Jeepers I long for those days.

You know how some people were simply born to drive? I'm not really one, but my daddy was. He drove 50,000 miles a year and was at home behind the wheel. In all those years, he only got in a couple accidents - not his fault. One time some chick hit him - I think it was a hit and run.

Don McKim is born to drive. I think it's cuz he's a control freak, but he IS a great driver. My Pablo is a good driver too, but he gets a bit nervous as I do in traffic or bad weather. Donnie is just calm about it. Moose is a somewhat (a lot) agressive but is a great driver too. And he lives for traffic.

Other people shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel. Ever. They aren't good at it. Or they try to multitask. Dangerous, uh huh. Scary.

My friend Jeff (I'll call him McFee) is a decent driver but he wanders, because he gazes around, checking out the crops, livestock and other various scenery items. So he edges out onto the shoulder and drifts over the center line, causing anxiety on my part.

My baby boy Judson is a good driver, but is not confident. This could stem from riding with me - I admit I make noises when I don't think a car is going to stop at a stop sign, or someone attempts to merge wrongly. And Paul gets him so worked up about driving in bad weather that he stays home when one flake flies. (Okay I'm a little like that too). Amy is a very good driver. (she has banned me from making any noises unless we're going to die.

I bite my tongue.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Hahahaha.... Strangely, I feel the safest when driving with my dad, despite his tendencies to swerve towards whatever he's looking at. When he does, he chuckles, "Oops!" and swerves right back over like nothing happened.

Driving home from my grandma's house in Kent on Christmas Eve was a great time... Dad periodically "checked" that we were on the blizzard-y, snow- and drift-covered road by hitting the rumble strips on the side of the road... on both sides.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I make those noises too! Especially driving in big cities in my Suburban. I just remind myself that Suburban wins over Lexus any day.