Friday, January 29, 2010

My lil buddy




Tomorrow is the day 'o birth (pirate language from Facebook) of my little buddy Judson David. I like to call him that, because he's nearly 6 foot 2 inches, dwarfing the rest of us. He wasn't quite so big some 21 years ago.

Paul and I went through an abbreviated version of Lamaze - I think at the college or the hospital, before Jud was born. I remembered watching a video at home on giving birth, that totally brought the experience back to me from Amy. Not in a good way! Scary. Amy was ready to be a big sis.

Sandy Hysell at work was preggers too. (Those were the FNB years) She was due a day or so after me - my due date was January 27, 1989. Of course after my Amy experience I wasn't much spectin' to pop that baby out any time early. I wasn't nearly as miserable during the last weeks of that pregnancy.

Again, Pablo and I didn't know what sex the baby was. My womanly intuition was saying girl as I felt pretty similar to my first pregnancy. I had a video of the ultrasound - and did scrutinize it pretty good to no avail. I was lucky to find the heart let alone any other body parts.

So after a long weekend, imagine my surprise - when I rolled over I felt a pop, and a warm trickle. My water had broken. I called the doc's office quickly along with Pablo who was already at work, and he rushed right home. We dropped Amy off at the sitters, with an overnight bag. Bobbie and Jeff were picking her up to stay the night.

When we got to the doc's office (it was Dr. Mark Young, who, coincidentally was the husband of a gal who lived on my dorm floor at ISU) they confirmed that yes, my water broke. I was having a baby that day. The Doc sent me to the hospital.

On the way into the hospital, we passed a very sad group of people heading the other way - out of the hospital. We found out later that their 12 year old daughter Callie Spainhower, had been killed that morning in a tragic traffic accident. I've always thought of that moment as one that was very telling in my life - our coming joy of birth versus the death of a child. I'll never forget the grief on their faces.

Dr. Young was mr natural. He wanted me to go into labor on my own and was willing to wait. I was supposed to walk around and stimulate my nipples. Nothing was happening when he checked on me at lunch time. When he got off work later that afternoon, he finally gave me the pitocin - which kicked things off.

Labor drug out all evening - Paul was in the nursery listening to the Hawks hoops. I had to through a washcloth at him at one point - the pain settling in. Finally, after 11 PM it was time to have the kid. The hospital had a birthing chair back then - which seemed to work great compared to my experience (with forceps) with Amy.

This time I got the urge to push. And after a few pushes that baby pertinear shot out of me. And it was a boy! The first in my fam since my Dad. And we had decided to name him after my dad (and doggy bro). He looked just like Amy had at birth, 'cept for a certain appendage. We were thrilled.

Of course we called Amy in the a.m. to report the news, and she was less than pleased as she'd put her order in for a sister...

Hope Jud enjoys his big Jud-A-palooza partay tonight, and doesn't drink 21 shots! Stay safe little buddy. Love ya.

No comments: