Saturday, January 16, 2010

Circle of Life


My Poolboy and I went to The Lion King last night. My ticket was a gift from the cherubs (I know, wasn't that another great gift? They're getting sooo good at this!).

It was a long week! Had to stay in the Big City through Friday due to a meeting scheduled for that day. And I was a bit down in the mouth (and all other body parts) as early as Tuesday. It was one of those endless cubicle feelings - feeling, yep, sorry for myself. I eat breakfast in the cube, lunch in the cube and don't get off work till it's nearly dark. Pity Party of one - me invited.

I pulled through the week with a little massage therapy (thanks Chris) and self-talk. And talk with Pablo and Amy, and my roomie Joanie. And my Friday meeting went pretty well - at General Mills in Carlisle with those energetic Iowa Waste Exchange folks. And I was soooo looking forward to seeing my honey - he was to pick me up for our date.

It was reminiscent of our dating days - oh so long ago. On Friday night, in Omaha I'd await my loverboy's arrival from Oakland. Paul and I headed downtown, parked in the ramp and walked over to that Brew Pub downtown. We snuck in without reservations for a quick din din. Then to Legend for another beverage - it was so fun catching up on the week's activities and thoughts. He'd had a guy's night - Jeff and Steve went with him to the ISU/Texas game - and shock - no stop at the strip club. Those guys are gettin' old!

Then we headed to the Civic Center, where Paul had a quick coffee before they opened the auditorium. We were way in the back - with extra space around us to spread out. And, Paul brought his good camo binoculars - so I had no trouble seeing faces etc.

The show was as beautiful as I remembered - Amy and I went back in 2000 (hey, 10 years ago!) in NYC with cousin Peg and sis in law Jean Fox. The puppets, songs, set - all fantastic. And I freely admit, by the end, when they sing Circle of Life again, I was ready to blubber. I held my composure though and just leaked a few tears. (Paul admitted that he too teared up). Such an overwhelming time for the senses - and emotion. If you haven't seen it - go!

No comments: