Monday, January 25, 2010

White knuckle affair


We didn't wear our medals to breakfast again today - I didn't take pics today so am using this one from October.
Driving to work today was a white knuckle affair! I started the day calmly, with my homies at breakfast celebrating Lucy's bday. I had oatmeal. Exciting huh? We had a full compliment of homies. Pat, Nancy, Lucy, Patti, Deb, Bobbie, Linda, Susan, Diana and me.

We laughed a lot as usual. We gave Pat crap when she tried to tell Chuck (our waitress) that he gave her too much toast. Duh Pat, two halves make a whole. What are friends for? Glad to see Diana - Don had his second hip replacement, and she's been so busy with family stuff, work (important job - she does my taxes!) and now nurse.

During the night before, as forecast, it began to snow. However we got more than they had projected. So after breakfast I went back home to monitor road reports and weather. About 8 a.m. I couldn't stand the stress of waiting - so I took off for DM across Highway 34. It was icy and blowing snow made seeing tough. The wind was very strong.

By Osceola I had another problem - I had to pee (all that coffee at breakfast). I decided to forge on - I have a strong bladder (I told myself) I can make it. Travel on I-35 was slow. I got behind 3 cement trucks going 45 or so. Around New Virginia it began to snow again. Traffic slowed as we began to see cars in the ditch.

My white knuckles weren't the only part of my body stressed by now. My bladder was getting very uncomfortable. Not quite as bad as last summer at the Ozarks (when I was forced to rush into the men's room with tears in my eyes after boating all afternoon), but close. I debated pulling off at the Winterset exit, but it looked icy. So I put the pedal to the metal (not really I was still going 40).

Just south of Grand I did pass a couple cars and cruised to the McDonald's on Mills Civic Parkway. Relief at last! The weather hasn't gotten any better, so I passed on heading to Davenport this afternoon. Might try it in the a.m. or may just phone it in!

No comments: