Thursday, January 28, 2010

Always there for me


I just finished listening to this book on CD. I read it a few years ago, and enjoyed hearing it read to me by an excellent reader. I love Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child books. Today I finished Preston's newest book. Funny, my sis Cindy loves these books as well. I have discovered all my sissies and I love many of the same authors.
My mother helped me gain my love for reading. She always had book nearby, and visited the library (or, as Cindo says she pronounced it - libary) often - taking me along. As children we were surrounded by beloved books - and as I blogged before, she bought us OZ books for special gifts.

So all through my life, books have been there for me. Through thick and thin! When I was a child, and got bored - I could read and re-read the books we had in the house. And then, when my parents began to be the Bickersons (that's what Cindo called them when they argued), I could retire to my room with a book - and lose track of time and the scary reality of them fighting.

In fact, even today I get a little panicky if I don't have a book around - and one to read after I'm done with that one. I take my book to work each day to read at lunch. That way when I don't even leave my cubicle, I get away! (I have a backup book, one I own in my file cabinet in case I forget my current book.) I read my current book at night too, in bed. Reading fictions relaxes me.

When I go to Jason's Deli, during my lonely weeknights in DM, I take my book in to read while I wait for my food and while I eat. I might not have any friends to eat with, but my book keeps me company.

Books - thanks for always being there for me. And thanks for paving my way to meet other book lovers like the Book Chicks!

1 comment:

Thea said...

Right on, reading sistah!